Quick Optics Question on Gratings (Small calculation)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the distance between grooves on a grating with 3,000 slits per mm. The formula n\lambda = d\sin(\theta) is mentioned and it is suggested to convert the wavelength to more convenient units, such as nm. The conversation also touches on trying to find accurate results for an experiment involving a sodium lamp and spectrometer. The possibility of a blue line in addition to the orange line is also brought up.
_Mayday_
Hey,

Well, just a quick question, if a grating had 3,000 slits per mm, what would the distance between groves be? Is it 1mm/3,000 which would give me the grove distance?

Science news on Phys.org
So 1/3000 = 3.33x10^-4 is the distance between gooves?

CrawfordK said:
Is it 1mm/3,000 which would give me the grove distance?
Sounds right to me.

CrawfordK said:
So 1/3000 = 3.33x10^-4 is the distance between gooves?
In mm.

^ When using using the formula [tex]n \lambda = d \sin(\theta)[/tex] trying to find the wavelength would I use it in mm?

I've basically conducted an experiment, using a sodium lamp and spectrometer, and want to see how accurate it is by comparing my results with an online result, but am having trouble finding a source that tells me the wavelengths, that I can compare to with my results.

_Mayday_ said:
^ When using using the formula [tex]n \lambda = d \sin(\theta)[/tex] trying to find the wavelength would I use it in mm?
When using that formula, the wavelength will have whatever units "d" has. You can always convert it to more convenient units, such as nm.

This might help: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/quantum/sodium.html#c2"

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear I saw a blue line as well though? For the orange line i got 5.7x10^-5 mm, i don't know hwo accurate that is.

1. How do you calculate the angular dispersion of a grating?

The angular dispersion of a grating can be calculated using the formula: Δθ = λ/d, where Δθ is the angular dispersion, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the spacing between the grooves on the grating.

2. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection grating?

A transmission grating allows light to pass through it, while a reflection grating reflects light off its surface. This is achieved by the different orientations of the grooves on the grating.

3. How do you find the number of grooves on a grating?

The number of grooves on a grating can be calculated by dividing the width of the grating by the spacing between the grooves. This value can also be provided by the manufacturer.

4. What is the purpose of a grating in optics?

A grating is used in optics to disperse light into its component wavelengths, allowing for the separation and analysis of different colors and spectral lines.

5. How does the spacing of the grooves on a grating affect its performance?

The spacing of the grooves on a grating directly affects its performance by determining the angular dispersion and resolving power of the grating. A smaller spacing results in higher dispersion and better resolution, while a larger spacing has the opposite effect.