Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Optics Question on Gratings (Small calculation)

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1

Well, just a quick question, if a grating had 3,000 slits per mm, what would the distance between groves be? Is it 1mm/3,000 which would give me the grove distance?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    So 1/3000 = 3.33x10^-4 is the distance between gooves?
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds right to me.

In mm.
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    ^ When using using the formula [tex]n \lambda = d \sin(\theta)[/tex] trying to find the wavelength would I use it in mm?

I've basically conducted an experiment, using a sodium lamp and spectrometer, and want to see how accurate it is by comparing my results with an online result, but am having trouble finding a source that tells me the wavelengths, that I can compare to with my results.
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When using that formula, the wavelength will have whatever units "d" has. You can always convert it to more convenient units, such as nm.

This might help: Sodium Spectrum
  7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    I swear I saw a blue line aswell though? For the orange line i got 5.7x10^-5 mm, i dont know hwo accurate that is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?