Quick Partial Derivatives question - exp(x+z)

In summary, the formula for calculating the partial derivative of exp(x+z) is exp(x+z), the partial derivative with respect to x is exp(x), the partial derivative is not the same as the total derivative, the chain rule can be used to find the partial derivative, and the partial derivative remains constant regardless of the varying values of x and z.
maks4

Homework Statement

Finding the partial derivative with respect to y, so del(f)/del(y)

Homework Equations

exp(x+z) - that is e^(x+z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I firstly thought this was just e^(x+z) but then i realized, shouldn't it be just 0? Since you're finding the partial derivative with respect to y, and since there's no y variable in there, wouldn't it be 0, ie treating the whole equation as a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it would.

Thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating the partial derivative of exp(x+z)?

The formula for calculating the partial derivative of exp(x+z) is simply exp(x+z) itself. This is because the partial derivative only takes into account one variable, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do I find the partial derivative of exp(x+z) with respect to x?

To find the partial derivative with respect to x, you simply treat z as a constant and differentiate exp(x) with respect to x. This results in an answer of exp(x).

3. Is the partial derivative of exp(x+z) the same as the total derivative?

No, the partial derivative only considers changes in one variable, while the total derivative takes into account changes in all variables. The total derivative of exp(x+z) would be exp(x+z) * (1 + 1) = 2exp(x+z).

4. Can I use the chain rule to find the partial derivative of exp(x+z)?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to find the partial derivative of exp(x+z) with respect to x. This involves differentiating exp(x+z) with respect to x, and then multiplying by the derivative of x+z with respect to x, which is simply 1.

5. How does the partial derivative of exp(x+z) change as x and z vary?

The partial derivative of exp(x+z) remains constant regardless of the values of x and z, as long as they are held constant while differentiating. This is because exp(x+z) is an exponential function, which has a constant rate of change regardless of the input values.