Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling question

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle tunneling through a potential barrier of finite width, with a focus on calculating the transmission and reflection coefficients. The wave functions for the three regions - before, in, and after the barrier - are described. The question of where the i term comes from is raised, with a suggestion to look at the solution to the second order ordinary differential equation.
Novocaine
I am dealing with the classic problem of a potential barrier of finite width, with a particle tunneling through, in the case of E < V.

I am to calculate the transmission/reflection coefficients, and we first start off with the wavefunctions for the three regions.

Before the barrier, we have Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx)

In the barrier, we have Cexp(k1x) + Dexp(-k1x)

After the barrier, we have Fexp(kx).

My only question about this is where the i term comes from. It is probably a very simple answer but I want to know exactly its reason before I go on past this point. In the case of E > V, the i term appears in all the exponentials. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes from the soloution to the second order ordninary differential equation.

Try to see how these wave functions comes, when solving the shrodinger equation for the different regions for your potentia:

"Before the barrier, we have Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx)

In the barrier, we have Cexp(k1x) + Dexp(-k1x)

After the barrier, we have Fexp(kx)."

1. What is Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling?

Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle with insufficient energy to overcome a potential barrier can still pass through it by acting as a wave.

2. How does Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling occur?

Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling occurs when a particle approaches a potential barrier and behaves like a wave, allowing it to pass through the barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it as a particle.

3. What factors affect the likelihood of Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling?

The likelihood of Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling is affected by the height and width of the potential barrier, as well as the energy and mass of the particle.

4. What are some real-world applications of Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling?

Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling has applications in various fields, such as quantum computing and nuclear physics. It also plays a role in the tunneling diodes used in electronic devices.

5. Can Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling violate the laws of conservation of energy?

No, Quick Potential Barrier tunnelling does not violate the laws of conservation of energy. The total energy of the particle remains constant, but it can be distributed differently between kinetic and potential energy as it tunnels through the barrier.