Quick potential energy questions

In summary, the object has a potential energy that is function of the distance between the object and another object. If the object is in a point before point A, then all you need to do is let go and they will blast off to infinity.
Anza Power
Given the potential energy between two objects that is function of the distance between the two objects: u=a/r³ - b/r² (a,b>0)

I need to find where the object is in a resting state, and the energy require to completely separate the two objects...

The attempt at a solution
I went ahead and drew a graph for it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30133&d=1290846834.png

I marked two points in the graph, B is the point when there is no restoring force correct? (as in if you put the object in that point it will not move)

The energy required to separate the two objects completely is U(∞)-u(r) correct?

So if the object was in a point before point A, all you need to do is let go and they'll blast off to infinity? (as in you don't need to put in work to separate them)

Another question (not in the exercise) if the graph looked like this:

222.PNG

For you to separate the two objects does that mean that you only need to get it a fraction beyond point c and they'll blast away from each other?

Attachments

• 111.PNG
    111.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Anza Power said:
Given the potential energy between two objects that is function of the distance between the two objects: u=a/r³ - b/r² (a,b>0)

I need to find where the object is in a resting state, and the energy require to completely separate the two objects...

The attempt at a solution
I went ahead and drew a graph for it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30133&d=1290846834.png

I marked two points in the graph, B is the point when there is no restoring force correct? (as in if you put the object in that point it will not move)
Yes.
The energy required to separate the two objects completely is U(∞)-u(r) correct?
Only if they begin with an energy U(r), but it's not clear from what you have said that they do.
The objects must have total energy (kinetic + potential) of U(∞) or greater in order to become completely separated.
Or, you could say that if the objects start with total energy E initially, then an energy of U(∞)-E must be added in order to completely separate the objects.

So if the object was in a point before point A, all you need to do is let go and they'll blast off to infinity? (as in you don't need to put in work to separate them)
Yes.
Another question (not in the exercise) if the graph looked like this:

View attachment 30132

For you to separate the two objects does that mean that you only need to get it a fraction beyond point c and they'll blast away from each other?
Yes, pretty much. As long as they have an energy of at least U(c), they can be separated. And if they are released from rest at point a, they will become separated.

Hope that helps.

^ That helped alot, thanks...

FAQ: Quick potential energy questions

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. These two forms of energy are interrelated and can be converted into each other.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a ball at the top of a hill, a compressed spring, and a book on a shelf.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

5. What factors affect the potential energy of an object?

The potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, height, and the force acting on it. The higher the object is positioned and the heavier it is, the more potential energy it has. Additionally, the stronger the force acting on the object, the more potential energy it has.

Back