Question: Can Gravity Accelerate Beyond the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter matt_dabbs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of exceeding the speed of light through acceleration and how this relates to gravity and the behavior of light. The question also considers the effects of inertia and external forces in this scenario.
matt_dabbs
I'm sure that someone has already asked this question, but I can't find an answer for it, so here goes. If I sound like an idiot...well, whatever. :smile:

If gravity is an acceleration (10 meters per second per second, etc.), then, if you "fell" far enough, would you eventually accelerate beyond c? If you can't, does that mean that the acceleration becomes nothing at c? And if so, doesn't that mean there is no gravity at c (because there is no acceleration), which wouldnt' work because then light wouldn't be affected by gravity, would it? If that was the case, is it possible that light itself isn't actually traveling at quite c?

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted, and I'm sure its a simple answer, but it's driving me crazy. :yuck: Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration relative to you, would always be the same. Relative to some fixed outside frame the acceleration would taper off as you got close to c.

The question has an interesting facit - if you were accelerated by some constant external force other than a G field, as you approached the velocity of light your effective inertia would increase so that your acceleration would asympotically wane to zero. But in a G field, as your inertia increases, so does the attractive force due to the increased mass (according to Einstein). So things become undefined since at c,
a = F/m = infinity/infinity

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for keeping the Earth and other celestial bodies in orbit.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why larger objects, like planets, have a stronger gravitational force.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the 17th century. However, Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity provided a more accurate explanation of gravity in the early 20th century.

4. Can gravity be manipulated?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate the force of gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with different theories, such as anti-gravity, to see if it is possible.

5. How does gravity affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can affect time by causing it to pass at different rates in different regions of space. This is known as gravitational time dilation and was confirmed by experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971.