Quick question about liquid crystals

In summary, the conversation discusses the order parameter in liquid crystals and the difficulty in finding an exact formula for S(T). The speaker is interested in finding the theoretical formula for S(T) and asks for suggestions on where to find it. The possible use of Landau's theory and the Maier-Saupe approximation are also mentioned.
skrat
After some reading, I noticed that everybody likes to mention the order parameter and most of the literature simply adds a graph, for example: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~bisenyuk/liquidcrystals/maintypes2.html

However, many (all of them, to be exact) seem to avoid the exact expression of order parameter S as function of temperature T. This makes me wonder why?
I would like to know the exact ##S(T)##, so I can plot it in mathemathica and play with it. Where could I find this? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
So you mean a theoretical formula for the order parameter versus temperature, right?
This will depend on the theoretical model and the specific system. And of course, on how this S is defined for the specific system.
There is no "exact" S(T) that applies to all liquid crystals.
It's more likely to find experimental plots for different materials.

Here you can find results obtained by using Landau's theory of phase transitions applied to liquid crystals (also called Landau-de Gennes in this case).
http://www.shu.ac.uk/research/meri/sites/shu.ac.uk/files/mmg-chapter_2.pdf

But the formula will depend on some parameters which have to be found experimentally.

What about Maier-Saupe approximation?

What about it?

Thank you for your question about liquid crystals and the order parameter. The order parameter, also known as the degree of order, is a measure of the alignment of the molecules in a liquid crystal. As you have observed, it is commonly shown as a graph in many resources, but the exact expression of the order parameter as a function of temperature is not always provided.

The reason for this is that the exact expression of the order parameter can vary depending on the type of liquid crystal and the specific conditions of the experiment. Additionally, the order parameter may also be affected by external factors such as pressure or electric fields. Therefore, it is not always possible to provide a general expression for the order parameter that applies to all liquid crystals.

However, if you are interested in a specific type of liquid crystal or a particular experimental setup, you may be able to find an expression for the order parameter in the literature. I suggest searching for research articles or textbooks on liquid crystals that focus on the specific system you are interested in. Alternatively, you could also try contacting a researcher or expert in the field for more information.

I hope this helps answer your question and I encourage you to continue exploring the fascinating world of liquid crystals.

What are liquid crystals?

Liquid crystals are a state of matter that exhibits properties of both liquids and solids. They have a unique molecular arrangement that allows them to flow like a liquid, but also maintain an ordered structure like a solid.

What are the applications of liquid crystals?

Liquid crystals have a variety of applications, including in electronic displays (such as LCD screens), temperature sensors, and in the production of polarizing filters for sunglasses and cameras. They are also being researched for use in advanced materials and drug delivery systems.

How are liquid crystals different from regular crystals?

Liquid crystals are different from regular crystals in that they have a more disordered molecular arrangement. While regular crystals have a repeating pattern, liquid crystals have a more random arrangement that allows for their unique properties.

What factors affect the behavior of liquid crystals?

The behavior of liquid crystals can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of electric or magnetic fields. The type and arrangement of molecules also play a role in determining the properties of liquid crystals.

Are liquid crystals harmful to the environment?

Liquid crystals themselves are not harmful to the environment, as they are non-toxic and do not contribute to pollution. However, the manufacturing and disposal of devices that use liquid crystals can have negative environmental impacts if not properly managed.