Quick Question: Matrix added to Differential

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about adding a vector to a system of differential equations. The system is shown as U'(t) = Ax + V, where A is a 2x2 matrix and V is a 2x1 vector. The conversation includes a discussion about solving systems with and without a V vector, and how initial conditions may affect the solution.
rey242
Hey guys,
I have a quick question about adding a vector to a system of differential equations.

Like U'(t)= Ax+V

Say A is a 2x2 matrix and V is a 2x1 vector.

Can you all explain how I could handle that V vector? Should somehow include it into A?

Physics news on Phys.org
rey242 said:
Hey guys,
I have a quick question about adding a vector to a system of differential equations.

Like U'(t)= Ax+V

Say A is a 2x2 matrix and V is a 2x1 vector.

Can you all explain how I could handle that V vector? Should somehow include it into A?
You're not adding a vector to a system of differential equations. Ax is a 2x1 vector, and V is a 2x1 vector, so Ax + V is a 2x1 vector, as is U', which is probably a function of x, not t.

As mentioned you haven't explained the problem very well... but guessing, do you mean
[tex] \textbf{x}(t) = (x_1(t), x_2(t)) [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{x}'(t) = (x_1'(t), x_2'(t)) [/tex]

and the differential equation is
[tex] \textbf{x}'(t) = A \textbf{x}(t) +\textbf{v} [/tex]...?

if so, and if A is in invertible, try writing it as
[tex] \textbf{x}'(t) = A \textbf{x}(t) +A(A^{-1}\textbf{v}) [/tex]
and consider a variable change

I wrote the question a little wrong...
I meant
U'(t)=A u(t)+V
Where A is just a regular 2X2 matrix and V is a 2x1 vector.
like this

U'(t)=(1,2;3,4)U(t)+(1;e^t)

I already know how to solve systems such as
U'(t)=Au(t) by using the eigenvalues & eigenvectors of A but I haven't learned what to do in the case which you add a V into the equation

U'(t) = AU(t) is a homogeneous system.
U'(t) = AU(t) + V is a nonhomogeneous system. What you choose for a particular solution depends a lot on what the solution is for the homogeneous problem. I don't have my DE resources handy right now, so I can't provide any more details these.

so what if it included a initial solution, would that change anything?

Such as a vector U(0)=(1;1)

That would enable you to find the constants associated with your homogeneous solution, that's all. IOW, having initial conditions wouldn't really change what I said in post #5.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent data and perform calculations.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change, and is commonly used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What does it mean to add a matrix to a differential equation?

When a matrix is added to a differential equation, it means that the equation involves the manipulation of both a function and a matrix. This can result in more complex solutions and can be used to model systems with multiple variables and inputs.

What are the applications of matrix addition in differential equations?

Matrix addition in differential equations is commonly used in control theory, where it can be used to model and analyze systems with multiple inputs and outputs. It is also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations, where it can improve the accuracy and efficiency of the solution process.

How is matrix addition related to linear algebra?

Matrix addition is a fundamental operation in linear algebra, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations as matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations, and analyze geometric properties of linear systems.