What Does It Mean When Field Quanta Are Not Spatially Localized?

In summary, field quanta are not spatially localized, meaning they are not in a fixed position within the field but rather exist as a whole system. This can be difficult to understand, as it goes against our intuition of localized particles. They are also not excitations at a certain point in the field, but rather must be considered as a whole. This is because the field is present everywhere in the universe, and thus the quanta are also spread throughout. They are not individual particles, but rather a collective phenomenon within the field.
I2004
what does it mean when someone says field quanta are not spatially localized?

does it mean they are in superpostion or they are just moving very fast?

sorry if I sound daft

Physics news on Phys.org
and are field quanta virtual particles that pop in and out of existence?

I read "field quanta are not spatially localized since they are not excition states at a certain point of the field but have to be assigned to the field system as whole"

can someone explain why they have to be assigned to the system as a whole?

please help...

Last edited:
When describing a complex system we try to use the excitations which are simplest, namely the normal modes. For a free field the normal modes are the plane waves. A disturbance that was initially localized would not stay that way, it would spread to neighboring points and be rather difficult to deal with!

what I don't get is when it says you must take into account the whole field.

like these field quanta spread across the whole universe, because the field is everywhere...

Last edited:
I just don't get it when he says they are not exition states at a point in the field.

what are they then? a single quantum is spread everywhere?

please help...

1. What is a field quantum?

A field quantum is a unit of energy that is associated with a specific field, such as the electromagnetic field or the Higgs field. It is the smallest possible amount of energy that can exist within that field.

2. How are field quanta related to particle physics?

In particle physics, particles are viewed as excitations or disturbances in their respective fields. These disturbances are quantized, meaning they can only exist in discrete units, which are known as field quanta. In other words, particles are made up of field quanta.

3. Can field quanta be observed?

No, field quanta cannot be directly observed. They are a theoretical concept used to explain the behavior of particles and fields in quantum mechanics. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and calculations.

4. How do field quanta interact with each other?

Field quanta interact with each other by exchanging energy and momentum through their respective fields. This interaction is responsible for the forces between particles, such as the electromagnetic force and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

5. Do field quanta have mass?

Some field quanta, such as the Higgs boson, have mass, while others, like the photon, do not. The mass of a field quantum is determined by the strength of its interaction with the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass.