Understanding Forces: Bird Wings, Air Displacement, and Conservation of Momentum

• Thread starter qazxsw11111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between a bird flapping its wings, the speed of air displaced, the area of the wings, and the density of air. The conversation also mentions the conservation of momentum and Newton's Third Law. However, there is a mistake in understanding the equations, as one of them does not have matching units.
qazxsw11111
Hi everyone! Ok, so we have a bird which is flapping its wings. Avg speed of air displaced is v. Area of wings is A. Density of air is p.

Thus mass of air displaced per second is vAp.

This is ok.

However, according to conservation of momentum, (vAp)(v)=mg, where m is mass of bird

Also however, according to Newton's Third Law, Force everted by bird on air=Force exerted on air by bird, (vAp)(g)=mg ?

Is there a mistake in my understanding?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
qazxsw11111 said:
Also however, according to Newton's Third Law, Force everted by bird on air=Force exerted on air by bird
So what's the problem with that?

I mean like there are two different equations to ma when the bird is hovering in air.

vApg=ma and v(Apv)=ma

Which is correct?

qazxsw11111 said:
vApg=ma and v(Apv)=ma
Check your units. Only one of those equations has units that match. (I assumed it was just a typo before. How did you get that highlighted equation?)

Well, according to Newton's Third Law, Force everted by bird on air=Force exerted on air by bird, (vAp)(g)=mg

I know this is wrong, but why is it?

qazxsw11111 said:
Well, according to Newton's Third Law, Force everted by bird on air=Force exerted on air by bird,
That's certainly true.
(vAp)(g)=mg
Where did you get this from? It certainly doesn't follow from Newton's 3rd law. (Note that this equation makes no physical sense, since the units do not match across the equal sign.)

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can change the state of motion of an object.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction or speed.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

How can forces be measured?

Forces can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. They are typically measured in units of newtons (N).