1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question on Lp Space and Notation

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    I have a homework problem discussing the heat equation, and I have two questions about notation that I could not figure out through google searching:

[itex]L^1(ℝ)[/itex] as in a function [itex]g\in C^1(ℝ)\cap L^1(ℝ)[/itex]

[itex]||u(\bullet ,t)||_{L^∞}[/itex]

The bullet in the second expression is actually a single dot at that height, but I could not find the latex symbol for it. I initially thought it was a limit as [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex] but that is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##L^1## is the set of all functions f such that |f| has a finite integral. ##L^\infty## is the max norm. Since the dot is in the first position it's the max of |u(x,t)| over all x for a fixed t if u is continuous. If u is not continuous, it's the max possibly excluding a set of measure 0. If you are dealing with the heat equation you probably don't have to worry about the 'measure 0' thing.

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    latex note

for what it is worth, the latex notation for the dot as in dot product is \cdot.

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted