Quick Question on Lp Space and Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat equation and two questions about notation. The first question is about the notation ##L^1## which is the set of all functions f such that |f| has a finite integral. The second question is about the notation ##L^\infty## which represents the max norm, with the dot at the first position indicating the max of |u(x,t)| over all x for a fixed t if u is continuous. The correct latex symbol for the dot is \cdot.
Arkuski
I have a homework problem discussing the heat equation, and I have two questions about notation that I could not figure out through google searching:

[itex]L^1(ℝ)[/itex] as in a function [itex]g\in C^1(ℝ)\cap L^1(ℝ)[/itex]

[itex]||u(\bullet ,t)||_{L^∞}[/itex]

The bullet in the second expression is actually a single dot at that height, but I could not find the latex symbol for it. I initially thought it was a limit as [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex] but that is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
##L^1## is the set of all functions f such that |f| has a finite integral. ##L^\infty## is the max norm. Since the dot is in the first position it's the max of |u(x,t)| over all x for a fixed t if u is continuous. If u is not continuous, it's the max possibly excluding a set of measure 0. If you are dealing with the heat equation you probably don't have to worry about the 'measure 0' thing.

latex note

for what it is worth, the latex notation for the dot as in dot product is \cdot.

Thanks for the help guys!

1. What is Lp space?

Lp space, also known as Lebesgue space, is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis and measure theory to measure the size of a function or a set of functions. It is a vector space that contains all the functions that are p-integrable, meaning their pth power is finite when integrated over their domain.

2. What is the difference between Lp space and L∞ space?

The main difference between Lp space and L∞ space is that Lp space contains functions that are p-integrable, while L∞ space contains functions that are essentially bounded, meaning they have a finite supremum norm. In other words, L∞ space contains functions that are bounded, while Lp space contains functions that are integrable.

3. What is the notation used for Lp space?

The notation for Lp space is typically represented as Lp(Ω), where p is the exponent and Ω is the domain or measure space over which the functions are defined. For example, L2(ℝ) represents the space of square-integrable functions over the real numbers.

4. What are some applications of Lp space?

Lp space has various applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in functional analysis to study the properties of functions and operators, in probability theory to define probability distributions, in signal processing to analyze signals, and in image processing to analyze images.

5. What are the differences between L1, L2, and L∞ space?

The main differences between L1, L2, and L∞ space lie in the integrability and boundedness of the functions. L1 space contains functions that are absolutely integrable, while L2 space contains functions that are square-integrable. L∞ space contains functions that are essentially bounded, meaning they have a finite supremum norm. Additionally, the norm in each space is calculated differently, with L1 using the L1 norm, L2 using the L2 norm, and L∞ using the sup norm.