Quick [Y/N] Q: Possible equations for B-fields?

• Thread starter starrymirth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a given magnetic field in spherical coordinates and whether it is a possible magnetic induction. The individual asking the question is unsure if the given equation is sufficient and if there are any other conditions that must be met for it to be physically possible. They mention that calculating the divergence and curl of the field may be necessary, but not essential.
starrymirth
Hi there, I'm going over a past electromagnetics exam paper, and had a quick conceptual question:

Homework Statement

A certain field is given in spherical coordinates by

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{4 sin\varphi}{r^{2}} \hat{r} + [sin\theta + \frac{cos^{2}\theta}{sin\theta}] \hat{\theta} - 4r sin\theta \hat{\varphi} [/itex] --(1)

Show that this is a possible magnetic induction.

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0[/itex] --(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, if equation (2) holds with the given B, is that sufficient? Are there any other conditions that must be met for (1) to be physically possible?

The thing that threw me here - is that it's out of 21 marks (~3marks per line/equation/fact, so 7 lines of working), and div B in spherical coordinates is a little tricky, but not that tricky. We're even given div for spherical coordinates on our formula sheet, so it made me think I might be missing something.

Thanks!
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be all. Maybe they just want to be nice with you :)
Of course, you could also calculate curl B = j and check that j is "reasonable". But for me, that's not necessary.

1. What is a B-field?

A B-field, also known as a magnetic field, is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as in the flow of electricity or the movement of electrons in an atom.

2. How is a B-field measured?

A B-field is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The unit of measurement for B-fields is tesla (T) or gauss (G).

3. What are some common equations for B-fields?

Some common equations for B-fields include the Biot-Savart law, which describes the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire, and Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the electric current. The equation for the force felt by a charged particle in a B-field is also frequently used.

4. How are B-fields used in everyday life?

B-fields have many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include their use in generators and electric motors, MRI machines, and compasses. They are also used in magnetic levitation systems and in the production of electricity from renewable sources such as wind and hydro power.

5. Can B-fields be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, B-fields can be shielded or canceled out using certain materials, such as mu-metal, which can redirect the magnetic field away from a specific area. Additionally, B-fields can be canceled out by creating an equal and opposite field using electromagnets or other devices.