Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotients of direct sums of modules

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    Hi, I keep seeing indirect uses of a result which I think would be stated as follows:

If a module [itex]M[/itex] over the unital associative algebra [itex]A[/itex] is written
    [itex]M\cong S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r[/itex] (where the [itex]S_i[/itex] are simple modules), then in any comosition series of [itex]M[/itex], the composition factors are, up to order and isomorphism, [itex]S_1,\ldots,S_r[/itex]. Perhaps this statement is not correct, but it's the best I can do when I can't find an explicit statement anywhere.

I think I would use the Jordan Holder theorem to prove this. I would argue as follows: a composition series for [itex]S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r[/itex] is given by
    [itex]S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r>S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-1}>S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-2}>\cdots>S_1>\{0\}.[/itex]
    Now, [itex](S_1/\{0\})\cong S_1,\ (S_1\oplus S_2)/S_1\cong S_2,\ (S_1\oplus S_2\oplus S_3)/(S_1\oplus S_2)\cong S_3,\ldots, (S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r)/(S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-1})\cong S_r[/itex] and so by the Jordan Holder theorem, in any comosition series of [itex]M[/itex], the composition factors are, up to order and isomorphism, [itex]S_1,\ldots,S_r[/itex].

I have a feeling that I am going wrong somewhere, perhaps in my cancelling when I do things like [itex] (S_1\oplus S_2)/S_1\cong S_2[/itex]. The terminology of "direct sum" would suggest that this is not allowed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming the S_i's are simple modules, what you've written is correct.

To justify canceling off a factor in the direct sums, just use the first isomorphism theorem: e.g., the map [itex]S_1 \oplus S_2 \to S_2[/itex] defined by [itex](s_1,s_2) \mapsto s_2[/itex] is surjective and has kernel equal to [itex]S_1\oplus 0[/itex].

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Yes, they are simple, I've edited that in. Thanks a million for your help.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this looks fishy.

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there anything specific that's making you skeptical?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook