R and R^2 not quasi-isometric?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quasi-isometry and how it applies to \mathbb R and \mathbb R^2. The speaker asks for help with an exercise from their book and explains their understanding of the concept. The expert summarizes the concept of quasi-isometry and provides an example of how to prove that \mathbb R and \mathbb R^2 are not quasi-isometric. They also encourage the speaker to think about other approaches and offer further assistance if needed.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I'm reading a book on geometric group theory (and because this can be considered to be a part of multiple subsets of math, I chose to post it in the general math forum; correct me if this was incorrect).

One of the exercises in the book is "show that [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] are not quasi-isometric". This was shortly after the definition of quasi-isometry, so there's no real arsenal for it, so I suppose one has to prove it directly from definition (from contraposition?), but I don't really see it happening. Can anybody help me out?

EDIT: Sorry! Wrong forum... I just read the "MUST READ" and apparently questions like this should go into the homework questions forum, my apologies! Can somebody move it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question about geometric group theory. It is great to see that you are actively working through exercises in your book and seeking help when needed.

To answer your question, let me first explain the concept of quasi-isometry. A quasi-isometry is a function between two metric spaces that preserves distances up to a constant factor. In other words, if two points are close together in one space, their images will also be close together in the other space, and vice versa. This means that quasi-isometric spaces have similar geometric properties, even though they may look different.

Now, to prove that \mathbb R and \mathbb R^2 are not quasi-isometric, we need to show that there is no function that satisfies the definition of a quasi-isometry between these two spaces. One way to do this is by using the contrapositive statement of the definition. If we assume that there exists a quasi-isometry f: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R^2, then we can show that this leads to a contradiction.

For example, let's consider the points (0,0) and (1,0) in \mathbb R^2. Since f is a quasi-isometry, there should exist a constant C such that the distance between these two points is preserved. However, in \mathbb R, the distance between the images of these points would be \sqrt{2}, which is not equal to the distance between (0,0) and (1,0).

This is just one possible approach to prove that \mathbb R and \mathbb R^2 are not quasi-isometric. I encourage you to think about other ways to prove it as well. Also, keep in mind that this is just one exercise and there may be more to come that will deepen your understanding of quasi-isometries.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your studies and feel free to ask more questions if needed.

1. What does it mean for R and R^2 to not be quasi-isometric?

Quasi-isometry is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two metric spaces. When two spaces are quasi-isometric, it means that they can be distorted, stretched, or shrunk in a controlled way to resemble each other. In the case of R and R^2, this means that they cannot be distorted in this way to be equivalent, meaning that they have different geometric properties.

2. What are the geometric properties of R and R^2 that make them not quasi-isometric?

R and R^2 have different dimensions - R is a one-dimensional space, while R^2 is a two-dimensional space. This means that the way points are arranged and distances are measured in each space are fundamentally different, making them not quasi-isometric.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate why R and R^2 are not quasi-isometric?

Imagine a rubber band stretched along a line - this represents R. Now imagine the same rubber band stretched along a plane - this represents R^2. No matter how you manipulate the rubber band, it will never look like the other. This is because they exist in different dimensions and cannot be distorted to resemble each other.

4. What implications does the lack of quasi-isometry between R and R^2 have in mathematics?

The concept of quasi-isometry is important in many areas of mathematics, such as geometry, topology, and group theory. The fact that R and R^2 are not quasi-isometric means that they have different properties and cannot be treated as equivalent in these areas of study.

5. Are there any other spaces that are not quasi-isometric to R and R^2?

Yes, there are many other spaces that are not quasi-isometric to R and R^2. Some examples include R and R^n for n>2, as well as any other spaces with a different dimension or structure. The concept of quasi-isometry allows mathematicians to compare and contrast different spaces and understand their unique properties.