1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R and R^2 not quasi-isometric?

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm reading a book on geometric group theory (and because this can be considered to be a part of multiple subsets of math, I chose to post it in the general math forum; correct me if this was incorrect).

One of the exercises in the book is "show that [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] are not quasi-isometric". This was shortly after the definition of quasi-isometry, so there's no real arsenal for it, so I suppose one has to prove it directly from definition (from contraposition?), but I don't really see it happening. Can anybody help me out?

EDIT: Sorry! Wrong forum... I just read the "MUST READ" and apparently questions like this should go into the homework questions forum, my apologies! Can somebody move it?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?