Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R is a vector space

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone!

Can someone please tell me what is the proof of it? or Where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2
    Dear admin,

Please remove/close this thread as I can prove it myself :)

Thanks anyway.

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't mean to nitpick , but it may be a good idea to specify the base field when you do these foundational exercises, i.e. the Reals are a vector space over 1-field? Clearly here there are not many options, but for R^2, the base field may be R or the Complexes (or maybe something else).

5. Sep 23, 2014 #4
    Many thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me that what do you mean by specifying the base field?

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure; when you say V is a vector space, you assume there is a set S of objects called vectors and a specific base field.
    For example, the set ## \mathbb R^2 ## seen as the vectors can be made into a vector space either over the field of Complex numbers,or over the set of Real numbers (or over any field F with ## \mathbb R \subset F \subset \mathbb C ##). Look at the 4 bottom axioms of vector spaces in e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space that specify how the field properties relate to the vectors and their resp. properties.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  7. Sep 24, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The definition of "vector space" requires that it be "over" a given field. That is, one of the operations for a vector space is "scalar multiplication" in which a vector is multiplied by a member of the "base field". That field is typically the "rational numbers" (though rare), the "real numbers", or the "complex numbers".

Any field can be thought of as a one-dimensional vector space over itself.

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivy ,who/what are you replying to?

9. Oct 3, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was responding to post #4 by WoundedTiger4: "Can you please tell me that what do you mean by specifying the base field?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook