Radiation E field of a rotor, can't get the result

In summary, the problem is to show that the electric field in the radiation zone for a rotating rod with equal and opposite charges at its ends is given by the equation ##\vec E_{\text{rad}}(r,\theta, \phi ,t)=\frac{k^2p_0}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}(\cos \theta \hat \theta +i\hat \phi )\frac{e^{i(kr-\omega t + \phi)}}{r}##. The attempt at a solution involved using the formula \vec E _{\text{rad}}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\hat r (\hat r \cdot \ddot {\
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two equal and opposite charges are attached to the ends of a rod of length s. The rod rotates counterclockwise at a speed ##\omega=ck##. The electric dipole moment of the system at ##t=0## is ##\vec p_0=qs\hat x##.
Show that the electric field in the radiation zone is ##\vec E_{\text{rad}}(r,\theta, \phi ,t)=\frac{k^2p_0}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}(\cos \theta \hat \theta +i\hat \phi )\frac{e^{i(kr-\omega t + \phi)}}{r}##.
(It's a part of a problem in Zangwill's book).

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec E _{\text{rad}}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\hat r (\hat r \cdot \ddot {\vec p} _{\text{ret}} - \ddot {\vec p}_{\text{ret}})}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the brute force approach by using the formula I just wrote above, in the relevant equations.
I got that ##\vec p (t)=p_0 [\cos (\omega t)\hat x + \sin (\omega t) \hat y]##.
So that [tex]\ddot {\vec p}_\text{ret}=p_0 \omega ^2 \{ -\cos \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \hat x -\sin \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \hat y \}[/tex]

Converting the Cartesian unit vectors to spherical unit vectors: ##\hat x =\sin \theta \cos \phi \hat r + \cos \theta \cos \phi \hat \phi -\sin \phi \hat \phi##. Plug and chug that into the formula for the E field... and I got a non vanishing ##\hat r## component which shouldn't happen.
I reached [tex]\frac{\mu_0 p_0 \omega ^2}{4\pi r}\{ -\sin \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \sin \theta \cos \phi +\cos \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \sin \theta \sin \phi +\cos \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \sin \theta \cos \phi +\sin \left [ \omega \left ( t-\frac{r}{c} \right ) \right ] \sin \theta \sin \phi \} \hat r[/tex]. I see I can factor out the sine of theta but I don't see how it's going to help me.
I don't seem to reach the desired result.
Any comment is welcome.Edit: Nevermind I see my error. I miscalculated ##\hat r \cdot \ddot {\vec p}_{\text{ret}}##. In fact I did ##\hat r \cdot \dot {\vec p}_{\text{ret}}##. I now get 0 for the ##\hat r## component as it should. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Great job catching your mistake! It's always important to double check your calculations when you're not getting the expected result. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the "Radiation E field" of a rotor?

The "Radiation E field" of a rotor refers to the electric field that is generated by a rotating object, such as a rotor. This electric field is a form of electromagnetic radiation and can be measured using specialized equipment.

2. How is the "Radiation E field" of a rotor calculated?

The "Radiation E field" of a rotor is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the size, shape, and speed of the rotor, as well as the properties of the surrounding medium. These equations can be complex and may require specialized software or tools.

3. What factors can affect the "Radiation E field" of a rotor?

The "Radiation E field" of a rotor can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the rotor, the speed at which it rotates, the material it is made of, and the properties of the surrounding medium. Additionally, any external electric or magnetic fields can also influence the "Radiation E field" of a rotor.

4. Why am I not getting the expected result when calculating the "Radiation E field" of a rotor?

There are several reasons why you may not be getting the expected result when calculating the "Radiation E field" of a rotor. Some possible reasons include errors in the input data, incorrect mathematical equations or calculations, and limitations of the tools or software being used. It is important to double-check all input data and calculations and to consult with experts if needed.

5. How can the "Radiation E field" of a rotor be measured?

The "Radiation E field" of a rotor can be measured using specialized equipment such as electric field probes or antennas. These tools can detect and measure the electric field generated by the rotating rotor. Additionally, simulations or mathematical models can also be used to estimate the "Radiation E field" of a rotor.