Radiation Physics - Decay Diagram

In summary, there are some errors in the solution provided above, including incorrect units and references to wrong energy levels. It appears that the model answer is referring to the transition energy between two excited nuclear states, with one possible nuclear emission in the energy range of interest. To find the correct energies, it is suggested to check the characteristic X-rays for Pt-125.
Graham87
Homework Statement
See picture
Relevant Equations
See picture
1.png

In the solution below it says 22% goes to 0.0309keV. From the diagram above I interpret 22% goes to 0.1298keV with EC(L)/EC(K)=3.0 and not 4.4. Why is that wrong ?

Thanks alot!

2.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Graham87 said:
View attachment 322938
In the solution below it says 22% goes to 0.0309keV. From the diagram above I interpret 22% goes to 0.1298keV with EC(L)/EC(K)=3.0 and not 4.4. Why is that wrong ?
View attachment 322939
Not sure how much I can help but there are some mistakes worth (IMO) mentioning.

Two excited nuclear energy levels (of Pt-125) are given as 0.1298MeV (=129.8keV) and 0.0989MeV (=98.9keV). Note that the difference between these is 0.0309MeV (= 30.9keV).

But there are then various references (including in the model-answer) to ‘0.1298keV’, ‘0.0989keV’ and ‘0.0309keV’. It appears that units are very messed up.

Also, the model-answer refers to an ‘energy level of 0.0309keV’. Even after correcting the unit, this value is not an energy level; it is the transition energy between the two excited nuclear states. What the model answer is telling you is that for each electron-capture, there are two possible nuclear emissions: a ##\gamma## photon of energy 30.9keV or one of 98.9keV. Note that only one of these is in the energy-range of interest.

I’m not familiar with some of the symbols used (despite several years of being a medical physicist in radiotherapy a long time ago). But I would suggest that you check the energies of characteristic X-rays for Pt-125 to see which ones are in the energy range of interest.

Edit: several minor changes.

Last edited:
Likes Graham87
Steve4Physics said:
Not sure how much I can help but there are some mistakes worth (IMO) mentioning.

Two excited nuclear energy levels (of Pt-125) are given as 0.1298MeV (=129.8keV) and 0.0989MeV (=98.9keV). Note that the difference between these is 0.0309MeV (= 30.9keV).

But there are then various references (including in the model-answer) to ‘0.1298keV’, ‘0.0989keV’ and ‘0.0309keV’. It appears that units are very messed up.

Also, the model-answer refers to an ‘energy level of 0.0309keV’. Even after correcting the unit, this value is not an energy level; it is the transition energy between the two excited nuclear states. (What the model answer is telling you is that for each electron-capture, there are two possible nuclear emissions: a ##\gamma## photon of energy 30.9keV or one of 98.9keV. Note that only one of these is in the energy-range of interest.

I’m not familiar with some of the symbols used (despite several years of being a medical physicist in radiotherapy a long time). But I would suggest that you check the energies of characteristic X-rays for Pt-125 to see which ones are in the energy range of interest.

Edit: minor changes only.
Thanks! Yes, you are right. Aparently the the solution is wrong. They wrote the wrong numbers above and used the right numbers during the calculations lol.
Thanks alot for the explanation!
3.png

1. What is radiation physics?

Radiation physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of radiation, which includes both electromagnetic radiation (such as light and radio waves) and particle radiation (such as alpha and beta particles).

2. What is a decay diagram?

A decay diagram, also known as a decay scheme or decay chain, is a graphical representation of the radioactive decay process of a specific isotope. It shows the different types of radiation emitted and the resulting daughter products as the isotope decays into a more stable form.

3. How is a decay diagram useful?

A decay diagram is useful for understanding the decay process of a radioactive isotope and predicting the types and amounts of radiation it will emit. It also helps in identifying the daughter products and their properties.

4. What is the half-life of a radioactive isotope?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay into a more stable form. It is a characteristic property of each isotope and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

5. How is radiation used in medicine?

Radiation is used in medicine for various purposes, such as diagnosing and treating diseases. For example, X-rays and CT scans use radiation to produce images of the body's internal structures, while radiation therapy is used to kill cancer cells. Nuclear medicine also uses radiation to diagnose and treat diseases by using radioactive substances that can be detected in the body.