What is the Effective Mass Equation for Excited Electrons in Units of Angstroms?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, Homework Equations:-For phonons, it can excite an electron from the valance band to the conduction band between any values of k.-For photons, it can only excite the electron at specific k values.-The minimum and maximum of Ec and Ev are at k=0 for Ev and k=1 for Ec.-To solve for Ec, k=1 must be put into the equation.-However, the angstrom terms are really small and Ec goes massive.-Any advice on this would be appreciated.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

j1iz5vq.jpg

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the question, for a phonon it can excite an electron from the valance band to the conduction band between any values of k. If it were a photon it could only excite the electron at specific k values.

Anyway so looking at the graph minimum/maximum looks (i tried differentiating Ec and Ev and setting to zero to find the exact minimum and maximum but it ended up getting complicated) like it is at k=0 for Ev and k=1 for Ec.

So now I need to put k=1 into the equation for Ec. And this is what I'm struggling with, so I put k=1 in and get $$E_{c} = 11 - 2\AA^{-2} + \AA^{-4} = 11 - \frac{2}{(10^{-10})^{2}}+ \frac{1}{(10^{-10})^{4}}$$ which must be wrong as the angstrom terms are really small and Ec goes massive.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

edit the red AA's are angstroms, don't know why its not working

Physics news on Phys.org
No, in the expression for Ec is Ec in eV and k is in ##\unicode{x212B}##.
So when you differentiate, you do so in ##\unicode{x212B}## units. (in fact in the dimensionless units ##u = k/\unicode{x212B}## ).
You get ##-4u+4u^3 = 0 \Leftrightarrow u(u^2-1) = 0##

And the ##E_c## expression is scaled too, in the dimensionless quantity y = E/eV.

Often in graphs you see axis annotations like ##E_c/{\rm eV}## and ##k * \unicode{x212B}^2## and those are the numbers (dimensionless !) at the tick marks. I like that and find it more correct than e.g. ##E (eV)

Likes rwooduk
BvU said:
So when you differentiate, you do so in ##\unicode{x212B}## units. (in fact in the dimensionless units ##u = k/\unicode{x212B}## ).

And the ##E_c## expression is scaled too, in the dimensionless quantity y = E/eV.

Often in graphs you see axis annotations like ##E_c/{\rm eV}## and ##k * \unicode{x212B}^2## and those are the numbers (dimensionless !) at the tick marks. I like that and find it more correct than e.g. ##E (eV)

Ahh so the Angstroms cancel I see, and thanks for the tip on the derivative!

Thanks! I get it now but why then on the graph does it say k (##\unicode{x212B}^{-1}##) not k(##\unicode{x212B}##)

Yes, (unfortunately) it's customary to write e.g Distance (km) instead of Distance/km as axis title. And the unit of ##k## is ## \unicode{x212B}^{-1} ##.

Likes rwooduk
BvU said:
Yes, (unfortunately) it's customary to write e.g Distance (km) instead of Distance/km as axis title. And the unit of ##k## is ## \unicode{x212B}^{-1} ##.

Just one more question that's related if I may, if I had something like: $$q=\frac{\omega }{\upsilon }= \frac{36GHz}{458m/s}=786\cdot 10^{5}$$ could you then write it as $$786\cdot 10^{5}\cdot \frac{\unicode{x212B}}{\unicode{x212B}}=0.008 \unicode{x212B}^{-1}$$

This looks really weird. Normally ##\omega## is not expressed in GHz (dimension 1/s) but in radians/sec. Makes a factor ##2\pi## difference, as in ##\omega = 2\pi f\;## or ##\omega = 2\pi \nu\;##. Don't know what ##q## stands for, or what its dimension is.

Aha ! enlightened myself in the modern fashion by googling wavenumber and found ##\displaystyle k = {2\pi\over \lambda}= {2\pi\over v_p}={\omega\over v_p}##. This simply has the dimension of length-1.

With your ##\displaystyle
q=\frac{\omega }{\upsilon }= \frac{36GHz}{458m/s}=786\cdot 10^{5}\; {\rm \bf m^{-1}}## you can get inverse ##\unicode{x212B}## by simply multiplying by 1 :smile: !

This 1 here taking the form ##\displaystyle 1\, {\rm m} \over 10^{10} \, {\displaystyle \unicode{x212B}} ## or ## \left ( 10^{10} \, {\displaystyle \unicode{x212B}} \right ) ^{-1} \over {\rm m}^{-1} ## , in other words, you get $$
q=786\cdot 10^{5}\; {\rm \bf m^{-1}} = 786\cdot 10^{5} \, {\rm m^{-1}}\; 10^{-10} \, {{\displaystyle \unicode{x212B}} ^{-1} \over \displaystyle{\rm m}^{-1}} = 786\cdot 10^{-5}\,
{\displaystyle \unicode{x212B}} ^{-1}$$

--

Likes rwooduk
That's awesome thanks! Will just have to practice this a little more.

BvU said:

Coming back to the derivative, if you set it equal to zero it makes sense however on the first part of the question below:

H5tWDvw.jpg

You would have for the effective mass $$m^{*}= \frac{\hbar^{2}}{\left ( \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2} \right )}$$

If we apply what you said earlier we get $$\frac{\partial^2 E_{c}}{\partial u^2} = -4 + 12u$$ but we need $$ \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2}$$

also in a separate question

bzctjgt.jpg

if you set u=k/A then differentiate twice for the Ec term the u vanishes!

exam on Wednesday, can anyone help further?

I'll update this for anyone interested:

qVZzpAV.jpg

rwooduk said:
Coming back to the derivative, if you set it equal to zero it makes sense however on the first part of the question below:

H5tWDvw.jpg

You would have for the effective mass $$m^{*}= \frac{\hbar^{2}}{\left ( \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2} \right )}$$

If we apply what you said earlier we get $$\frac{\partial^2 E_{c}}{\partial u^2} = -4 + 12u$$ but we need $$ \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2}$$

With ## {\partial \over \partial k} = {\partial \over \partial u} {du \over dk}\ ## and ##\ u = { k\over \unicode{x212B}} ## you get $$
m^* = {\displaystyle \hbar^2 \over {\partial^2 \left ( E/eV \right ) \over \partial u^2} \left(du \over dk \right ) ^2 eV } = {\hbar^2 \over {(4-12u)} \; {\rm eV \,\unicode{x212B}^2 }} $$
which is also dimensionally correct: ## {\rm (Js)^2 \over J m^2 } = {\rm kg}##

--

rwooduk said:
also in a separate question

bzctjgt.jpg

if you set u=k/A then differentiate twice for the Ec term the u vanishes!

exam on Wednesday, can anyone help further?
It's becoming a rather intermixed mess of exercises now...

The u may vanish, but there still is a coefficient -5 10-19 ( a constant) !
(In this exercise A3 I wonder why there appear coefficients of the order of magnitude 10-19 and ##(\unicode{x212B})^2## instead of the -2 we were used to...)

But in your post # 10 yet other values again. A bit confusing for me, but I hope you have it clear by now. Looks like you do.

Good luck tomorrow !

--

Likes rwooduk

1. What is an Angstrom?

An Angstrom (Å) is a unit of length equal to 0.1 nanometers or 10^-10 meters. It is commonly used in the field of nanotechnology and is named after the Swedish physicist Anders Jonas Ångström.

2. Why are Angstroms used in scientific measurements?

Angstroms are commonly used in scientific measurements, particularly in the fields of chemistry, physics, and materials science, because they are a more convenient unit of length when dealing with atomic and molecular scales. They allow for more precise measurements and calculations than larger units like meters.

3. How are Angstroms related to other units of length?

1 Angstrom is equal to 10^-10 meters, which is also equal to 0.1 nanometers. It is also equivalent to 0.0001 micrometers or 100 picometers. Additionally, 1 Angstrom is equal to 0.0000000001 meters or 0.0000001 millimeters.

4. How is the Angstrom symbol represented?

The Angstrom symbol (Å) is derived from the first letter of the Swedish alphabet, "Å". It is represented by a capital A with a small circle on top, and is often written as "Angstrom" without the accent mark in English.

5. Are Angstroms used in everyday life?

No, Angstroms are not commonly used in everyday life as they are a very small unit of length. They are primarily used in scientific research and in certain industries such as nanotechnology and materials science.