Solve Radical Equation: (2 root 3 + 3 root 4)/-5

• Thread starter wScott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a fraction with a negative denominator. The participants suggest different ways to remove the negative, including dividing by -1. They also clarify that different forms of the fraction with the negative outside or inside the fraction are equivalent. The conversation ends with a tip on dividing fractions by the same number to maintain equality.
wScott
This isn't exactly homework, it was a question we had on a test and I had no idea at all of how to do it, although I think I did good on the other questions.

The result that it came to, I can't remember exactly what it was, looked kind of like this:

(2 root 3 + 3 root 4) over (-5)

My teacher won't let us have any question with a negative denominator. My question is how do you remove the negative from the bottom.

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't figure out how to LaTeX this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your LaTeX cannot be seen. Could you write the fraction normally?

Sorry about that, it's fixed.

You can take it outside the fraction or put it to the top. The fraction still has the same value;

[tex]\frac{a}{-b} \equiv \frac{-a}{b} \equiv - \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

They are all identical, but it is usually more acceptable to have the negative 'outside' the fraction as in the third example. :smile:

Last edited:
Ahh makes sense to me, thanks for teh help. I definitely screwed that up. For my answetr I came out with fractional radicals under 1 :p

Hootenanny explained it very well. But I could add a tip.

Your fraction is:
(2 root 3 + 3 root 4) over (-5)

If you divide all the terms of the fraction by the same number you mantain it equal to the initial fraction.
In this case you could divide by -1. So, we would have:

(-2 root 3 - 3 root 4) over (5)

Good point PPonte

FAQ: Solve Radical Equation: (2 root 3 + 3 root 4)/-5

1. What is a radical equation?

A radical equation is an equation that contains a variable within a radical (square root) sign. The variable can be solved by isolating it on one side of the equation and performing operations to eliminate the radical.

2. How do I solve a radical equation?

To solve a radical equation, you must first isolate the radical term on one side of the equation. Then, you can square both sides of the equation (if the radical has a square root) or raise both sides to a power that will eliminate the radical. Finally, solve for the variable using basic algebraic techniques.

3. What is the order of operations for solving a radical equation?

The order of operations for solving a radical equation is the same as for any other equation: start with parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. However, when solving a radical equation, it is important to keep track of the operation that created the radical and "undo" it by performing the opposite operation.

4. Can a radical equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a radical equation can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the original equation has multiple solutions and the radical is raised to an even power, making the negative solutions positive. It can also happen when solving for a variable that has a square root, as there are two possible solutions to a square root (positive and negative).

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a radical equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a radical equation include forgetting to "undo" the operation that created the radical, not isolating the radical before performing operations, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions (solutions that do not satisfy the original equation). It is also important to simplify the radical as much as possible before solving for the variable.