1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radical Question

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    This isn't exactly homework, it was a question we had on a test and I had no idea at all of how to do it, although I think I did good on the other questions.

The result that it came to, I cant remember exactly what it was, looked kind of like this:

(2 root 3 + 3 root 4) over (-5)

My teacher wont let us have any question with a negative denominator. My question is how do you remove the negative from the bottom.

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't figure out how to LaTeX this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    Your LaTeX cannot be seen. Could you write the fraction normally?

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    Sorry about that, it's fixed.

5. Mar 21, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can take it outside the fraction or put it to the top. The fraction still has the same value;

[tex]\frac{a}{-b} \equiv \frac{-a}{b} \equiv - \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

They are all identical, but it is usually more acceptable to have the negative 'outside' the fraction as in the third example. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  6. Mar 21, 2006 #5
    Ahh makes sense to me, thanks for teh help. I definitely screwed that up. For my answetr I came out with fractional radicals under 1 :p

7. Mar 21, 2006 #6
    Hootenanny explained it very well. But I could add a tip.

Your fraction is:
    (2 root 3 + 3 root 4) over (-5)

If you divide all the terms of the fraction by the same number you mantain it equal to the initial fraction.
    In this case you could divide by -1. So, we would have:

(-2 root 3 - 3 root 4) over (5)

8. Mar 21, 2006 #7
    Good point PPonte

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?