Radioactive Decay: 56Co to 56Fe - Which Type of Beta Decay?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Jules18
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
The problem states:

The mass of 56Co is 55.9399u,
and the mass of 56Fe is 55.9349u.
Which isotope decays into the other and by what process?

I know it's beta decay, but there are two types of beta decay and I'm not sure how to tell which one would happen. If anyone is more familiar with these kinds of questions than I am, I'd be really thankful for any help.

Thanks ahead of time!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, which isotope is the stable one?

Knowing that then, in which direction is the β decay?

Proton to neutron β-

or

neutron to proton β+?

Doesn't the transition tell you?
 
I'm not quite sure what you mean by transition, but the question doesn't say anything about which atom is more stable.

Is it possible to tell from the periodic table?
 
Jules18 said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by transition, but the question doesn't say anything about which atom is more stable.

Is it possible to tell from the periodic table?

By transition, I was meaning alchemy. One element to another.

The half life is certainly something you can look up I would think.

Without looking, I would intuitively think iron is a more stable element than cobalt. But you should check to be sure.