Radiometric Dating Equation Clarification

• Thread starter madoxx
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find an equation that models a certain collection of data. They have 40 sets of points and when graphed, they obviously show exponential decay. They have been trying to find this equation by using a general exponential equation and solving for constants. However, they are not sure if they are approaching the problem correctly.
madoxx
Hey guys,

I'm doing this assignment where I'm supposed to come up with an equation that models a certain collection of data. I have 40 sets of points and when graphed, they obviously show exponential decay. Now I've done a bit of research on this topic and the Equation used to calculate the number of particles left is y=A*2^(-x/halflife) where:

y is the number of particles left
A is the initial number of particles
x is time and it increments

Now I've been trying to come up with this equation by using a general exponential equation and solving for constants. My general equation is y=A*B^kx where A, B, and k are constants.

Am i approaching this problem correctly? My task is to somehow come up with the correct equation which incorporates halflife. I want to somehow prove that the real model for the data is y=A*2^(-x/halflife) which i know is the correct model. How can i go about proving this?

Here is a bit more information about decay and the above equation is there:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html#generic

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont know if this helps: From an earlier post:

Here is a graph of the decay. At the very left side the tree has just died. They know about how much C14 is in it at that time. My measuring how much C14 is in it years after, you can approx its age. You measure this by counting how many disintigrations per minuit per gram are occurring.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/As...ges/ae403a.gif

PHP Code:
ddd

use this site for the math

http://math.usask.ca/emr/examples/expdeceg.html

Last edited by a moderator:
the first link you posted does not work...
http://www.physlink.com/Education/As...ges/ae403a.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the radiometric dating equation?

The radiometric dating equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the age of a sample based on the amount of a radioactive isotope it contains, its decay rate, and the current amount of the stable isotope it decays into.

2. How does radiometric dating work?

Radiometric dating works by measuring the ratio of radioactive isotopes to stable isotopes in a sample and using the known decay rate of the radioactive isotope to calculate the age of the sample.

3. Is the radiometric dating equation accurate?

The radiometric dating equation is generally accurate, but it relies on certain assumptions about the sample, such as the initial amount of radioactive isotope and a constant decay rate. These assumptions may not always hold true, leading to some margin of error in the calculated age.

4. Can the radiometric dating equation be used for all types of samples?

No, the radiometric dating equation can only be used for certain types of samples, such as rocks and minerals. It is not accurate for organic materials, such as bones or wood, as the initial amount of radioactive isotope cannot be reliably determined.

5. How can the accuracy of radiometric dating be verified?

The accuracy of radiometric dating can be verified by cross-checking with other dating methods, such as tree ring dating or historical records. Additionally, repeated measurements of the same sample using different techniques can help validate the accuracy of the radiometric dating equation.