1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiometric Dating Equation Clarification

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm doing this assignment where I'm supposed to come up with an equation that models a certain collection of data. I have 40 sets of points and when graphed, they obviously show exponential decay. Now I've done a bit of research on this topic and the Equation used to calculate the number of particles left is y=A*2^(-x/halflife) where:

y is the number of particles left
    A is the initial number of particles
    x is time and it increments

Now i've been trying to come up with this equation by using a general exponential equation and solving for constants. My general equation is y=A*B^kx where A, B, and k are constants.

Am i approaching this problem correctly? My task is to somehow come up with the correct equation which incorporates halflife. I want to somehow prove that the real model for the data is y=A*2^(-x/halflife) which i know is the correct model. How can i go about proving this?

Here is a bit more information about decay and the above equation is there:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html#generic

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2
  4. Jan 11, 2006 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?