Calculating Radius of Circle: X^2 - 2Ax + Y^2 - 2Ay = 0

In summary, after completing the square for the equation x^2 - 2ax + y^2 - 2ay = 0, the resulting equation is (x-a)^2 + (y-a)^2 = 2{a}^2. This suggests that the radius of the circle is \sqrt{2}\sqrt{a^2} \Rightarrow a\sqrt{2}, which is also the answer the speaker arrived at. However, the textbook quotes the answer as \sqrt{2a}, which is different from what the speaker got. The speaker is unsure if they made a mistake or if the textbook is incorrect. The expert summarizes that the textbook is indeed incorrect and provides a possible explanation for the discrepancy in notation
m00c0w
I'm trying to calculate the radius of the circle [tex]x^2 - 2ax + y^2 - 2ay = 0[/tex]
I completed the square and got to [tex](x-a)^2 + (y-a)^2 = 2{a}^2[/tex]
That would mean the radius is [tex]\sqrt{2{a}^2}[/tex] right? Which would be [tex]\sqrt{2}\sqrt{a^2} \Rightarrow a\sqrt{2}[/tex]... but my textbook quotes the answer as [tex]\sqrt{2a}[/tex] :confused: Did I do something wrong or is my textbook incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook is wrong.

Are you sure you are reading your textbook? It might be that the answer is [itex]\sqrt{2}a[/tex] but a little blurred so it is not clear where the square root sign ends- it looks like [itex]\sqrt{2a}[/itex].

On the otherhand that is exactly why most texts would use the clearer [itex]a\sqrt{2}[/itex] as you do.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a circle given the equation X^2 - 2Ax + Y^2 - 2Ay = 0?

The formula for calculating the radius of a circle given this equation is: r = √(A^2 + B^2 - C), where A, B, and C are the coefficients from the equation.

2. How do you determine the center of the circle from this equation?

To determine the center of the circle, you must first isolate the x and y terms in the equation and rearrange it in the form (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle.

3. Can this formula be used to calculate the radius of a circle with a different equation?

No, this formula can only be used for circles with equations in the form X^2 - 2Ax + Y^2 - 2Ay = 0. For circles with different equations, you will need to use different formulas.

4. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived using the distance formula, which calculates the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. By setting this distance equal to the radius of a circle and manipulating the equation, we can arrive at the formula r = √(A^2 + B^2 - C).

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the radius of a non-circle shape?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the radius of a circle. For other shapes, different formulas must be used.