Radius of Convergence of power series anx^n^2

In summary: If |b|<1 then the limit |x|^n<R exists and the series converges. If |b|>1 then the limit does not exist and the series diverges.Therefore, the radius of convergence is R1.
looserlama

Homework Statement

Suppose that the power series [itex]\sum[/itex]anxn for n=0 to n=∞ has a radius of convergence R[itex]\in[/itex](0,∞). Find the radii of convergence of the series [itex]\sum[/itex]anxn2 from n=0 to n=∞ and [itex]\sum[/itex]anx2n.

Homework Equations

Radius of convergence theorem:

R = 1/limsup|an|1/n is the radius of convergence of the series [itex]\sum[/itex]an(x-c)n

Root Test:

Let L = limsup|an|1/n, then

If L<1, the series [itex]\sum[/itex]an converges absolutely
If L>1, the series diverges
If L=1, then the test is inconclusive.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that limsup|an|1/n = [itex]\frac{1}{R}[/itex].

So for the second series ([itex]\sum[/itex]anx2n) I think this is easy:

limsup|an|1/n|x|2n/n = limsup|an|1/n|x|2 = |x|2/R < 1 So that the series converges

Therefore, |x|2 < R [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |x| < [itex]\sqrt{R}[/itex]

So R2 = [itex]\sqrt{R}[/itex] (Where R2 is the r.o.c. of the second series)So I tried doing this with the first series, but it doesn't work.

So then I showed that limsup|bn|1/n2 < 1 implies that [itex]\sum[/itex]bn from n=0 to n=∞ converges absolutely (basically a modification of the root test)

So then if I use this for the first series:

limsup|an|1/n2|x|n2/n2 = limsup|an|1/n2|x| < 1 So that it converges.

Therefore |x| < 1/limsup|an|1/n2 = R1

But I'm assuming they want it in terms of R, so this doesn't really work...

I feel like I'm close I'm just missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little bit dubious about some this, and I think you meant your initial series to be a_n*x^n, not a_n*x^(n^2), but let's assume all of your limits exist. In the x^(2n) case you got |x|^2<R. In the x^(n^2) case you will get limit n->infinity |x|^n<R. What does that tell you about radius of convergence?

How can we have |x|^n <R if n->infinity?

Wouldn't it be 1/R*limsup|x|^n <1 ?

So limsup|x|^n < R and wouldn't that only be true for |x| < 1 ?

looserlama said:
How can we have |x|^n <R if n->infinity?

Wouldn't it be 1/R*limsup|x|^n <1 ?

So limsup|x|^n < R and wouldn't that only be true for |x| < 1 ?

Yes, I think you need |x|<1.

Oh ok, it just doesn't seem like a very formal way of showing it. Is there not a better way of doing it?

Pick a number b such that |b|<1 and apply the root test to [itex]a_{n} b^{n^2}[/itex]. Now do the same for |b|>1.

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series where the series converges. It is represented by the variable R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

How do you calculate the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. The root test involves taking the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is the value of x at which this occurs.

What does the radius of convergence represent?

The radius of convergence represents the distance from the center of the power series where the series converges. If x is within the radius of convergence, then the series will converge. If x is outside the radius, then the series will diverge.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It represents a distance and must be a positive value. However, it can be infinite, meaning the series converges for all values of x.

How does the radius of convergence affect the convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence directly affects the convergence of a power series. If x is within the radius, the series will converge, and if x is outside the radius, the series will diverge. The larger the radius, the more values of x for which the series will converge, and the smaller the radius, the fewer values for which the series will converge.