1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence of power series

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the radius of convergence of the following series.

[tex]
    \sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {2^k z^{k!} }
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The answer is given as R = 1 and the suggested method is to use the Cauchy-Hadamard criterion; [tex]R = \frac{1}{L},L = \lim \sup \left\{ {\left| {a_k } \right|^{\frac{1}{k}} } \right\}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to begin. The sequence a_k in the Cauchy-Hadamard criterion is for series of the form [tex]\sum\limits_k^{} {a_k z^k } [/tex] but the series here has z raised to the power of k!, not just k. Substituting something for z (ie. set w = z^2 if the summation was over z^(2k)) doesn't work here. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

k! is a subsequence of n.

If it helps that series can be restated as

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_nz^n[/tex]

where a_n is given by:

if n=k!, then a_n=2^k
    zero otherwise.

Clearly, terms that are zero have no effect on the limsup, so all you need to work out is

[tex]\lim\sup (a_n)^{1/n}[/tex]

well, a_n is either zero, or if n=k!, then (a_n)^1/n = (2^k)^{1/k!}, so the lim sup is easy to work out (and is 1).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    Thanks matt, I didn't think of looking at the series like that. Perhaps I could have started by considering the sequence of partial sums and the answer might have dropped out. Anyway, thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?