Radius of curvature along a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a design project involving a cord with tightly wrapped wires around a nylon rope core. The group measured the radius of curvature of the wires under tension and bending, and the question arises whether the radius remains constant in these conditions. The possibility of the helix unraveling and using Hamilton's principle of least action and Young's stress equations to calculate or estimate the radius of curvature is also mentioned.
CaptainP
Hello friends,

I am working on a design project for my capstone course in my engineering curriculum. Part of the design involves a cord consisting of wires tightly wrapped helically (à la a spring) around a nylon rope core. An important specification of this design is the radius of curvature of the wires under various tensions at various angles.

To measure this, my group and applied various tensions at various angles to the cords and then taking pictures of the cord. From there we could plot points on the picture along the cord to model the cord, then used groups of 3 consecutive points to approximate the radius of curvature of the cord as a whole. In other words, we already know the radius of curvature of the cord as a whole.

My question is twofold:
  1. Clearly when the cord is untensed and unbent the radius of curvature of the wires is constant and equal to slightly more than the radius of the nylon rope. Is it reasonable to assume that the radius remains constant even under tension and bending?
  2. If the answer to question 1 is no, is there any way I can go about calculating or estimating the radius of curvature of this "spring" under bending? The tensile force is taken up by the nylon rope so there is no direct axial compression on the spring.
I have attached a picture of our setup to help aid your understanding (note that the area of interest is only about the first inch coming out of the C-clamp). You can kind of see the helical wrap through the heat shrink.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainP said:
  1. Clearly when the cord is untensed and unbent the radius of curvature of the wires is constant and equal to slightly more than the radius of the nylon rope. Is it reasonable to assume that the radius remains constant even under tension and bending?

I don't think the radius of curvature of the wire is just slightly more than the radius of the nylon rope. Given the high pitch of wrapping seen in the picture it can be much more.

CaptainP said:
  1. If the answer to question 1 is no, is there any way I can go about calculating or estimating the radius of curvature of this "spring" under bending? The tensile force is taken up by the nylon rope so there is no direct axial compression on the spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix#Arc_length.2C_curvature_and_torsion

radius of curvature = 1 / curvature

If I understand the question, these should make sense:
1: Will, under any tension, the helix unravel?
2: Maybe read into hamiltons principle of least action, along with applying Youngs stress equations. (Youngs Modulus)

1. What is the radius of curvature along a spring?

The radius of curvature along a spring refers to the distance from the center of the spring to the outer edge of the curved portion of the spring. It is a measure of how tightly the spring is wound.

2. How is the radius of curvature along a spring calculated?

The radius of curvature along a spring can be calculated by dividing the length of the spring by the number of coils in the spring. This will give the average radius of curvature along the entire length of the spring.

3. What factors affect the radius of curvature along a spring?

The radius of curvature along a spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the tension or force applied to the spring, and the number of coils in the spring.

4. Why is the radius of curvature along a spring important?

The radius of curvature along a spring is important because it determines the strength and flexibility of the spring. A smaller radius of curvature indicates a tighter and more rigid spring, while a larger radius of curvature indicates a looser and more flexible spring.

5. How does the radius of curvature along a spring impact its performance?

The radius of curvature along a spring can impact its performance by affecting its ability to store and release energy. A smaller radius of curvature can result in a higher force and shorter range of motion, while a larger radius of curvature can result in a lower force and longer range of motion.