Ramp With Friction - Help Appreciated

In summary, Nick attempted to solve a problem involving kinetic friction, but was not able to get it solved. He provided a diagram and equations that he found helpful.
Nfinley1
Ramp With Friction - Help Appreciated!

Homework Statement

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.41 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.9 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.22 m and the angle θ = 37.10°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Homework Equations

I'm unsure what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

So to start off am I looking for the height it starts off at.
So 1.22Sin(37.1)

Then am I looking for Potential Energy? and such. I'm lost from here

I'm not for someone to solve this for me, but someone who could help me get through this would be awesome! :)

Thanks,
Nick

Physics news on Phys.org

Nfinley1 said:

Homework Statement

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.41 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.9 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.22 m and the angle θ = 37.10°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Homework Equations

I'm unsure what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

So to start off am I looking for the height it starts off at.
So 1.22Sin(37.1)

Then am I looking for Potential Energy? and such. I'm lost from here

I'm not for someone to solve this for me, but someone who could help me get through this would be awesome! :)

Thanks,
Nick
Please post the figure, and give more detail regarding your attempts at solving this.

While you're at it, please give the complete problem with the exact wording.

prob27a_MechEnWFriction_zps113f14db.gif

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.41 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.9 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.22 m and the angle θ = 37.10°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface. This is all the information given.

I'll post more of my work on the subject in a moment, as I'm still working on even getting my first full attempt done.

Thus far, I've brainstormed a bunch of ideas...
Tried thinking about the component of gravity going along the horizontal axis until I realized I don't have a mass.
Then I thought about using a = mu * g solving for a and then use Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2aS2. But I realized I am solving for Mu anyways. So I can't exactly plug it into get another constant.

So in all terms, I'm lost.

I tried
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2aS2
0 = (2.41m/s)^2 +2(a)(1.9)
0 = (5.5081) + 2a *1.9
A = 1.4495

Then mu = a/g
1.4495/9.8 = 0.1479 = mu Which is the incorrect answer.

found out 2.41^2 is actually 5.8081, and that would make mu = 0.155964, but still not correct.

Last edited:

That is all very helpful.

I assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction is the same at all places along the path of the object.

One thing that I find helpful -- I always had my students do this -- is to draw a Free Body Diagram.

Actually, draw one for the object (mass) when it's on the incline and one when it's on the level.

Attachments

• prob27a_MechEnWFriction_zps113f14db.gif
    prob27a_MechEnWFriction_zps113f14db.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 477

It might be easier to think it in terms of energy.

Finding time to work on this during the week is hard for me. I'm going to review my work now and keep at it.

Thanks, I'll post more here later. (Just wanted you guys to know I wasn't leaving it for dead).

1. What is friction and how does it affect a ramp?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can affect a ramp by making it harder for objects to move up or down the ramp, as the friction force can counteract the force of gravity.

2. How can I calculate the friction force on a ramp?

The friction force can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object on the ramp, and the coefficient of friction depends on the materials and surface properties of the ramp and the object.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect friction on a ramp?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which the ramp is tilted, can affect friction by changing the normal force and the coefficient of friction. As the angle increases, the normal force increases, resulting in a larger friction force. Additionally, the coefficient of friction may also change due to the change in surface contact between the ramp and the object.

4. What are some ways to reduce friction on a ramp?

There are a few ways to reduce friction on a ramp. One way is to use a smoother material for the ramp surface, such as a plastic or metal surface. Another way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, on the ramp surface to reduce the coefficient of friction. Additionally, decreasing the angle of inclination can also reduce the friction force.

5. How does friction on a ramp affect the speed of an object?

Friction can decrease the speed of an object on a ramp by reducing the net force acting on the object. As the friction force increases, the net force decreases, resulting in a slower speed. This is why objects often move slower on a ramp compared to a flat surface.