Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
Ibix said:
Things I saw on my holiday: feral kittens

Ibix said:
A sand shark (about 3m long and in an aquarium, lest you think me braver than I am):View attachment 288670
So they were feral kittens but it wasn't a feral shark?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
A feral state is a reversion from a domesticated state.
Sharks can't do that yet.

BillTre said:
So it wasn't a feral shark. It was a domesticated shark.

Does he fetch?

BillTre said:
IFAIK, neither can cats. They are not considered domesticated. (*see sig line)

Ivan Seeking said:
So it wasn't a feral shark. It was a domesticated shark.
Being in a tank does not make it domesticated. It is captured.

BillTre said:
So he could fetch but the tank is too small?

DaveC426913 said:
IFAIK, neither can cats. They are not considered domesticated. (*see sig line)
I thought they were. They have similar history of domestication as dogs.

BillTre said:
I thought they were. They have similar history of domestication as dogs.
Googling "are cats domesticated", "Semi-" is apparently the operative term.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/are-cats-domesticated

I seems they have been companions of humans for a mere 4,000 years, compared to the dogs' 40,000 years.

"They confirmed that, genetically, cats have diverged much less from their wildcat ancestors than dogs have from wolves, and that the cat genome has much more modest signatures of artificial selection. Because cats also retain sharper hunting skills than dogs, abandoned felines are more likely to survive without any human help...

You don’t have the true differentiation you see between wolf and dog. Using the dog as the best comparison, the modern cat is not what I would call fully domesticated.”

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Googling are "cats domesticated", "Semi-" is apparently the operative term.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/are-cats-domesticated

I seems they have been companions of humans for a mere 4,00 years.
Wikipedia would disagree:
The cat (Felis catus) is a domestic species of small carnivorous mammal.[1][2] It is the only domesticated species in the family Felidae and is often referred to as the domestic cat to distinguish it from the wild members of the family.[4] A cat can either be a house cat, a farm cat or a feral cat; the latter ranges freely and avoids human contact.[5] Domestic cats are valued by humans for companionship and their ability to hunt rodents. About 60 cat breeds are recognized by various cat registries.[6]
A bunch of cat people:

The domestic cat (Felis catus) is one of the most recently evolved species within the Felidae family.

The ASPCA:

How Did Cats Become Domesticated​

So how did cats become our purring feline friends? Perhaps a kind-hearted hunter came across a lonely litter of kitties mewling in the forest and brought them home. While this makes for a sweet story, it doesn't synch up with what really happened. For thousands of years, cats had no real need for humans—and vice versa—so we generally went our own ways.But that changed as we began settling down into flourishing agricultural communities in an area called the Fertile Crescent, which stretches from the Nile River to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. There humans were able to grow and store plentiful amounts of grain. And all of that grain began to attract mice. Lots of mice. These mice, in turn, drew cats who were pleased to discover an abundant and relatively easy to hunt food source.This was the beginning of a mutually beneficial relationship between cats and humans. Our storehouses offered cats plenty of prey, and we got an effective means of controlling the rodents who were destroying our grain. We appreciated this ability so much that we began bringing cats on board the ships that transported grain and other products. This explains how cats spread from the Near East to all corners of the world.

Some might call them tamed rather than domesticated.

Anyone who has a cat knows they are not domesticated. They just pretend to be. Then they wait for the right moment...

Ivan Seeking said:
Anyone who has a cat knows they are not domesticated. They just pretend to be. Then they wait for the right moment...
They wait for you to figure out who is in charge...

Likes Ivan Seeking
Baby Skunks Everywhere!

1630973537630.png

Likes DennisN
But in Dutch Harbor, Eagles everywhere! And they are not afraid of humans. You can even try to pet one if you don't like all of your fingers.

1630974097630.png

The locals call them [translated] the rats of the sea - sea rats.

• Wow
Likes DennisN
Ivan Seeking said:
Glad it wasn't the other way around, I must say.
BillTre said:
Indeed. Feeding the shark was quite a careful operation, I gather, involving moving it to another tank and making sure no other aquarium fish were in there.

Ivan Seeking said:
Eagles everywhere! And they are not afraid of humans.
My dad told a story of being in North Africa with the army. They got food in a tent then ate outside on trestle tables. You had to cover your plate, else you suddenly had a plateful of the local species of hawk and then only what vegetables it hadn't knocked onto the floor.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Here's my contribution from the holiday weekend, actually from last Thursday, before the weekend:

charlotte.jpg

This is the center of Charlotte, North Carolina: the intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets. These were originally Native American trading paths, with the name "Trade" reflecting that origin. William Tryon was the British governor of North Carolina from 1765 to 1771. It was during his tenure that Charlotte was founded as the seat of Mecklenburg County.

When George Washington spent the night here in 1791, there were about 30 log cabins clustered around this intersection, including the inn where he stayed. He wasn't impresssed. He called Charlotte "a trifling place."

The four statues / sculptures overlooking the intersection represent (from left to right) Industry, Transportation, Commerce and the Future. They were installed in 1995.

The streetcar (tram) crossing the intersection on Trade Street began operation a week ago yesterday, and was in fact my reason for visiting Charlotte a few days later. I didn't go on opening day because it was beastly hot (high about 97 F ?:)) and there was no ceremony or other public event where I could get some souvenirs. The line simply started running on its normal schedule at 5 am. Thursday's weather was much better, with the high in the low 80s.

Likes collinsmark, DennisN, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
jtbell said:
Here's my contribution from the holiday weekend, actually from last Thursday, before the weekend:

View attachment 288722

This is the center of Charlotte, North Carolina: the intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets.
Charlotte is my favorite Eastern city. I spent many weeks there at Lance.

Likes jtbell
Oregon State Fair 2021
PXL_20210901_213122173.jpg
PXL_20210901_213440330.jpg
PXL_20210901_213905502.jpg

Likes collinsmark, DennisN and Ivan Seeking
nsaspook said:
Oregon State Fair 2021View attachment 288735
I have a weird optical illusion in the first one - I persist in seeing the two people in the top left as giants sitting on the tents. I really have to stop and look at them quite carefully to get my brain to admit that they are normal sized people in the foreground on the cable car.

Likes phinds
Yeah, and why is she wearing those weird bunny ears? Or are they horns?

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, DaveC426913 and Ibix
Ivan Seeking said:
I lived in Oregon for 25 years. They have a fair?

I always meant to go... LOL! Never made it down to Eugene for the hippy fest either.

It was really nice this year.
PXL_20210901_212942063.jpg

PXL_20210901_213119128.jpg

Likes collinsmark and DennisN
berkeman said:
Yeah, and why is she wearing those weird bunny ears? Or are they horns?
Upon further review, I understand now. She bought them at the tent down below before getting on the tram ride. :wink:

berkeman said:
Upon further review, I understand now. She bought them at the tent down below before getting on the tram ride. :wink:

No you were right the first time. Some women in Oregon have horns.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook and phinds
This cat is not dead.

1631067027886.jpeg

He just didn't have any teeth so his tongue fell out when he slept.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
One night around 3 AM I heard an unusual noise in the kitchen

1631067497800.jpeg

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, berkeman, DrClaude and 1 other person
What happens when you give a physics grad a well?

1631067649016.jpeg

Likes collinsmark
Throughout Portland there are older streets which still have horse rings on the curb. As a part of something called "The Horse Project", people will attach toy horses to these and take a picture. We ran across this one on our neighborhood walk recently.
20210303_152023.jpg

Likes collinsmark, nsaspook, jack action and 3 others
Ivan Seeking said:
Charlotte is my favorite Eastern city. I spent many weeks there at Lance.
I just realized that I pass the Lance facility on South Blvd. when I ride into town on the light rail, after parking at the I-485 station. It's right next to the Sharon Road West station. I remember seeing the logo on the building last week. Was that where you were?

Ivan Seeking said:
But in Dutch Harbor, Eagles everywhere! And they are not afraid of humans. You can even try to pet one if you don't like all of your fingers.
That is amazing! I see great photo opportunities there. If I was there, I would put a camera with a tele lens (135, 200 or 300 mm) on a tripod, and settle down some distance away to try to get nice close-ups of the eagles. :smile: And the background scenery looks very nice too.

jtbell said:
I just realized that I pass the Lance facility on South Blvd. when I ride into town on the light rail, after parking at the I-485 station. It's right next to the Sharon Road West station. I remember seeing the logo on the building last week. Was that where you were?
Sure enough. I spent two or three weeks there several times.

DennisN said:
That is amazing! I see great photo opportunities there. If I was there, I would put a camera with a tele lens (135, 200 or 300 mm) on a tripod, and settle down some distance away to try to get nice close-ups of the eagles. :smile: And the background scenery looks very nice too.

You can just walk up and take a photo too. Like I said, you can literally try to pet them but they will bite off your finger!
1631102292298.png

• Wow
Likes morrobay, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
jtbell said:

Ivan Seeking said:
You can just walk up and take a photo too. Like I said, you can literally try to pet them but they will bite off your finger!
That is so cool! It almost looks unreal.

I would place myself some distance away because I like having ten fingers. :smile:

Likes Ivan Seeking