Random Thoughts 7
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,057 replies · 118K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,068
If one wants to show me their talents by doing abstracts with weird meaningless forms, giving you a sense of awe, I prefer it this way:
"Genesis", Oil on canvas by Matthew Cornell
"Genesis", Oil on canvas by Matthew Cornell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,715
- 7,810
https://www.yahoo.com/news/international-space-station-captures-view-183554133.html
Somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, Milton, a Category 5 hurricane (with sustained winds up to 160 mph (257 kmph) at one point, now apparently Cat 4.
https://www.pnj.com/story/weather/h...hurricane-milton-tuesday-updates/75569396007/
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152937.shtml?cone#contents
Somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, Milton, a Category 5 hurricane (with sustained winds up to 160 mph (257 kmph) at one point, now apparently Cat 4.
https://www.pnj.com/story/weather/h...hurricane-milton-tuesday-updates/75569396007/
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152937.shtml?cone#contents
Science Advisor
- 1,567
- 5,226
GOES-19 images. GOES-19 Preliminary, Non-Operational Data
https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate...s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6
https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate...s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,715
- 7,810
From Fox News, Tampa, and Yahoo News.Florida Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis has been warning residents about the dangers storm surge poses to EVs.
"We saw a number of fires associated with EVs from Hurricane Ian," Patronis told Fox Weather. "We know that the saltwater from storm surge can compromise these batteries, causing fires which cannot be easily suppressed. The best fire teams can do is keep water on the battery until the fuel burns out."
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,752
WWGD said:Black keyboards may look cool, but not quite practical in dark environments.
True. That's why I ponied up for an RGB gaming keyboard. Gaming aside, it's still useful for everyday (or shall I say, "everynight") situations.
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
The deeper I get into the literature of my current project, the more pessimistic I become that it's any use at all to further the work.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
Hmmm... Curious.
Google Translate claims Tomislav is Croation -- and that it doesn't have an English translation (proper noun maybe?).
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=Tomislav&op=translate
Google Translate claims Tomislav is Croation -- and that it doesn't have an English translation (proper noun maybe?).
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=Tomislav&op=translate
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,909
- 13,227
When you first hear it it sounds as if the name is " Tom is Love", an unusual name.Tom.G said:Hmmm... Curious.
Google Translate claims Tomislav is Croation -- and that it doesn't have an English translation (proper noun maybe?).
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=Tomislav&op=translate
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,889
- 6,219
Sounds like at least three of my Ex'sWWGD said:Wonder if there's a polite way of asking some of my acquaintances: Who are you today, Jekyll or Hyde?
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,889
- 6,219
Next door neighbour spent a lot of money constructing a pond, landscaped it, pump, filtration system and some impressive carp, which grew to a considerable size as the pond was large.
This was a while ago so he either, complained first that his Carp were going missing or I saw what I saw from a bed room window.
My ornithology skills are more book than twitcher but I recognise a heron when I see one, just sat on his fence, probably just had lunch and was letting it settle.
Huge, never seen one in the flesh.
They can grow to about three feet, beautiful impressive creature.
A fine mesh sorted my neighbour's problem, I was a lot less happy than he was when the heron moved on.
This was a while ago so he either, complained first that his Carp were going missing or I saw what I saw from a bed room window.
My ornithology skills are more book than twitcher but I recognise a heron when I see one, just sat on his fence, probably just had lunch and was letting it settle.
Huge, never seen one in the flesh.
They can grow to about three feet, beautiful impressive creature.
A fine mesh sorted my neighbour's problem, I was a lot less happy than he was when the heron moved on.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,909
- 13,227
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,909
- 13,227
The bridge between the two lenses in my glasses broke appart at a point of disconnection ( in blue)
That is too thin to crazy glue back in.
I have a gas stove. Could I use the stove to heat up the left side to melt the tip as to solder it to the other end? Any other ideas, to keep them attached at least for a few days?
That is too thin to crazy glue back in.
I have a gas stove. Could I use the stove to heat up the left side to melt the tip as to solder it to the other end? Any other ideas, to keep them attached at least for a few days?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
With that style frame, the lenses are likely plastic, not glass. Plastics Soften, melt, or decompose at soldering temperature.
Melting temperature of solder is a few to several hundred degrees.
Depending on which Plastic, softening can start at 120F to several hundred degrees.
A natural gas flame is in the thousands of degrees. Oops!
Your situation is why opticians recommend using both hands to apply and remove glasses, using the temple bars. (ear hooks)
Melting temperature of solder is a few to several hundred degrees.
Depending on which Plastic, softening can start at 120F to several hundred degrees.
A natural gas flame is in the thousands of degrees. Oops!
Your situation is why opticians recommend using both hands to apply and remove glasses, using the temple bars. (ear hooks)
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
- 2,358
- 1,274
If it is possible to release the lens on that side temporarily by unscrewing one or two tiny screws in the hinge of the arm, you may be able to wrap some tape (say insulating tape) around the side of the frame and also around the bridge to hold it together, then put back the lens.WWGD said:That is too thin to crazy glue back in.
(Three of my four current spectacle frames are from 1981, although the lenses have been replaced several times with different prescriptions).
Similar threads
- Evo
- · Replies 11K ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 11K
- skyshrimp
- · Replies 5 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 5
High School
Random thoughts on Fibonnacci sequence
- parshyaa
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 4
- Raghav Gupta
- · Replies 8 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 8
- ThomasT
- · Replies 25 ·
- Electromagnetism
- Replies
- 25
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Fra
- · Replies 3 ·
- Quantum Interpretations and Foundations
- Replies
- 3
- kyphysics
- · Replies 52 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 52
- EternalStudent
- · Replies 1 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 1
Undergrad
Random thought about force and motion
- tadpole
- · Replies 7 ·
- Mechanics
- Replies
- 7