Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,716
I too love horror movies, not slasher films, but supernatural. NO, don't go in the basement/attic! AAARRRGGH!

Likes lisab
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,717
Evo said:
I too love horror movies, not slasher films, but supernatural. NO, don't go in the basement/attic! AAARRRGGH!

And they always split up first!

Likes Evo
  • #1,718
lisab said:
And they always split up first!
Yes, because if bad things are happening, you want to be ALONE!

• #1,719
OK, maybe I am being something of a fuddy-duddy about this.

Likes Evo
  • #1,720
Kind of interesting, I went to my job interview , and (almost) the moment I stepped in, the Cars' "You're just what I needed" was playing in the waiting room. I would have definitely preferred to have the interviewer sing it, or at least say it, but, close-enough to have the Cars' Ric Ocasek say it, to compensate for wearing formal clothes in brutal 89 degree weather..

Looking forward to comedian Gaffigan's new show. I have watched too many "Christine" , and "Two-and-a-half Men" reruns.

Last edited:
  • #1,721
Today was tough. I was in a rotten mood most of the day - doesn't happen to me very often but I'm only human.

I didn't sleep well last night. At work I was...well, let's just say I was dwelling on the many not-so-pleasant aspects of my job. Then I learn that the buyer in a real estate deal I'm involved in has backed out. Back to square one!

On the bright side: I got some good financial news, and the double smoked sausages I bought at the farmer's market yesterday are exquisite! They're being cooked with onion, garlic, and kale. I will add pinto beans in a little bit, then some hot spices. Yum. How did I not discover kale until just ~10 years ago?!

On the dim side: hubby has to work late tonight.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,722
lisab said:
Today was tough. I was in a rotten mood most of the day - doesn't happen to me very often but I'm only human.

I didn't sleep well last night. At work I was...well, let's just say I was dwelling on the many not-so-pleasant aspects of my job. Then I learn that the buyer in a real estate deal I'm involved in has backed out. Back to square one!

On the bright side: I got some good financial news, and the double smoked sausages I bought at the farmer's market yesterday are exquisite! They're being cooked with onion, garlic, and kale. I will add pinto beans in a little bit, then some hot spices. Yum. How did I not discover kale until just ~10 years ago?!

On the dim side: hubby has to work late tonight.

I'm a firm advocate of venting, and kale. :smile:

ps. I think I discovered that kale was edible, about 18 months ago. I always thought it was just an ornamental plant.
hmm... google google google Ah ha!
OmCheeto said:
I think I'll add cavolo nero to my list of plants to grow. I had to ask what the "green stuff" was in the cafeteria last week. The chef said it was kale. I didn't know I liked kale until last week.
6/22/2015 - 2/17/2014 ≈ 16 months
Close enough

• #1,723
GOP candidates embrace SC gov's call on Confederate flag
http://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidates-embrace-sc-govs-call-confederate-flag-222718126--election.html

Since they aligned quickly with Gov. Nikki Haley’s push to remove the flag from the grounds of South Carolina's capital, maybe the GOP roster of presidential candidates should step aside and let Gov. Nikki Haley run for president. :oldbiggrin:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans with presidential aspirations rushed Monday to embrace South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley's call to remove the Confederate flag from the grounds of the state capitol, eager to move past a vexing issue that challenges the GOP's effort to win over the diverse coalition of voters it likely needs to win back the White House.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,724
Damn you allergies *shakes fist*

What's weird is that it rained a lot yesterday but didn't wash away the pollen, so it seems.

• #1,725
Now she sits there mumbling "8oy! Yo just a click away!" :DD

• #1,726
I always wondered what it would be like to spray a firehose at a bowl of alphabet soup and post the result.

• #1,727
Borg said:
I always wondered what it would be like to spray a firehose at a bowl of alphabet soup and post the result.
"If an infinite number of huskies point an infinite number of firehoses at a bowl of alphabet soup of infinite volume, they will eventually write out a complete theory of quantum gravity."

While you're waiting for the ininite vat of soup to boil, check out physforum. That's what you'll get most of the time...

• #1,728
Borg said:
I heard that some of David Bowie's song lyrics were based on something like that, cutting words out of newspapers and scattering them, then picking them up randomly.

• #1,730
rootone said:
I heard that some of David Bowie's song lyrics were based on something like that, cutting words out of newspapers and scattering them, then picking them up randomly.
Ditto for whatever it is he was wearing, it seems.

Just missed out on post # 1729, which I think is the only positive natural number that has two different expressions
as a sum of two cubes:

## 1729 =12^3+1^3 = 9^3+10^3 ##
I think this comes from G.H Hardy.

EDIT: Grossly wrong for obvious reasons, e.g., multiply each term by k , then

## 1729k^3 =(12k)^3+k^3=(9k)^3+(10k)^3 ## , getting a new number for each choice of k, and other:

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ssible-as-the-sum-of-two-positive-cubes-in-tw

Last edited:
  • #1,731
@Silicon Waffle
I was interested to take a look but it says It says I'm not allowed to see it until I allow myself to be subjected to ads as well.
Guess I am just old skool, ads get on my nerves.

Last edited:
  • #1,732
rootone said:
@Silicon Waffle
I was interested to take a look but it says It says I'm not allowed to see it until I allow myself to be subjected to ads as well.
Guess I am just old skool, ads get on my nerves.
I'm using IE 11 and everything is fine. But all ads have been blocked on their way to me already..:biggrin: They 're just noisy .

• #1,733
Kind of disappointed: I sometimes buy some fresh-squeezed juice, with amazing taste, but a treat at
$6.99 /lb. It has been tasting slightly acid, in contrast with the usual perfectly -sweet taste. I think it has
to see with the fact that I have been buying it from smaller delis which do not have industrial freezers.
That makes a difference in these days of 80+ degree weather and high humidity. So I think the juice is
just slightly spoiled.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,734
I am watching the series premiere of Mr. Robot. It's kind of incendiary.

• #1,735
There is another new show which is very good called Complications. It's like the writers of ER were bred with the writers of House, and their issue wrote this show.

That was a joke, of course. It's not legal to breed writers.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,736
Should I buy random words by random people ? :woot:

• #1,737
I'm happy about the Supreme Court ruling :oldbiggrin:!

Likes Astronuc, OmCheeto and Borg
  • #1,738
lisab said:
Today's ruling on same sex marriage or yesterday's ruling on health care? It's been a busy week.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,739
lisab said:

It took me ten minutes this morning to figure out what everyone was happy about. (I slept in late)

The best response came from George Takei, titled; "When I checked Facebook just now"

my.eyes.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle and lisab
  • #1,740
I get that it's an anti-hater victory, which is probably good, but permit me to say I don't share the thrill. Getting married is about as smart as getting a tattoo.

Likes Enigman and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,741
zoobyshoe said:
I get that it's an anti-hater victory, which is probably good, but permit me to say I don't share the thrill. Getting married is about as smart as getting a tattoo.
I think that depends on against whom you're married.

• #1,742
WWGD said:
I think that depends on against whom you're married.
Well said.

• #1,743
So, I'm sitting outside a coffee house tonight which is located at an intersection. On my right about 20 people are crossing the street illegally, against a red light. An SUV coming up that street, leans on it's horn and makes like it's going to plow through the whole lot of them. There was mass panic, expressions of shock and awe, and I, myself, was afraid I was about to see something horrible, but at the last second the SUV braked enough to avoid collision.

• #1,744
Last Christmas, I put a whole bag of dried sour cherries in a Tupperware container, covered them with dark rum, sealed the top, and slid the container into the deep, dark recesses of my refrigerator. I then forgot about them until the next time I cleaned out my fridge, which happens (maybe) quarterly.

By then they were lovely, exquisite, spectacular, and a hundred other words I could steal from a thesaurus. We ate them with ice cream, in rice pudding, or just plain.

Today I bought rum and a bag of dried cherries. Knowing how yummy the end product is, I don't know if I can wait several months. And I'm not sure I have to - they might be just as good in a week.

Experiment is ON!

Likes OmCheeto, Silicon Waffle and Astronuc
  • #1,745
:biggrin: Ha-ha-ha, pretty classic!
I do that sometimes and none of my stuff later is still edible though.

• #1,746
I'm lucky if I can detach certain things from my refrigerator without heavy machinery, and even luckier if they don't fight back.

• #1,747
zoobyshoe said:

And it is not a victimless crime either. I have lost a few friends to marriage. You hang out with your single friends , then, after they get married , you never see them again; the wife prohibits him from hanging out with any of the single friends. I assume men do the same, but not sure.

• #1,748
WWGD said:
And it is not a victimless crime either. I have lost a few friends to marriage. You hang out with your single friends , then, after they get married , you never see them again; the wife prohibits him from hanging out with any of the single friends. I assume men do the same, but not sure.
Not all wives do that. Some will prohibit you from hanging out with your married friends also.

• #1,749
Hi, I've been away from PF for a while due to a lot of things to do + a rather troublesome sprained foot of mine (no, I don't write my posts with my feet, but it's been difficult nevertheless :) ). I've still got plenty to do, but I hope to get back here soon; anyway I wish you all a good summer!

1013776_741090435931363_91099889_n.jpg

Likes lisab, Silicon Waffle and Evo
  • #1,750
Denis: I saw and ad in a store window of a deli " We only sell the best of the Wurst" .

Likes Silicon Waffle and Evo