Random Walk and Statistics, last time we hit 0

In summary, We are learning about random walk in my Statistics and Stochastic Processes class. We discussed the probability of hitting 0 at a certain time and the formula for the sum of (2n choose n) times x^n. The law of large numbers was also mentioned, stating that eventually there will be more losses than wins in a random walk.
frinny913
This is for my Statistics and Stochastic Processes class, we are learning about random walk

1. Let p<q where p is success (+1) and q is failure (-1). Let T=last time we hit 0 (T[tex]\geq[/tex]0) Find P(T=t)

Then using the answer from the above question, make up a formula for [tex]\sum(2n choose n)*x^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the law of large numbers says that the random walk will eventually enter a downward cone and never leave, meaning that at a long enough time the amount of loses will be greater than the wins because of p and q. But I don't know where this gets me.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second question, the formula for \sum(2n choose n)*x^{n} is:\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (2n \choose n) x^n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-4x}}

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes a path that consists of a series of random steps. It is used to model the unpredictable behavior of a system or process.

2. How is a random walk related to statistics?

Random walks are commonly used in statistics to study the behavior of random variables and to make predictions about future outcomes. They are also used in statistical tests to determine the significance of data.

3. What is the significance of the last time a random walk hit 0?

The last time a random walk hit 0 is significant because it represents the starting point of a new random walk. This can provide important information about the behavior of the system being studied and can be used in statistical analysis.

4. Can random walks be used in real-life applications?

Yes, random walks have many real-life applications in various fields, such as finance, physics, biology, and computer science. They are used to model complex systems and make predictions about future outcomes.

5. How is the probability of hitting 0 in a random walk determined?

The probability of hitting 0 in a random walk is determined by the step size and the number of steps taken. As the number of steps increases, the probability of hitting 0 also increases. However, the exact probability can vary depending on the specific parameters of the random walk.