Random Walk: Calculating Standard Deviation from Mean Position

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the standard deviation from the mean position value in a random walk scenario. The formula for calculating the standard deviation is derived using the expectation values of nR and nL, which follow binomial probability distributions. The validity of the solution is questioned and alternative methods are suggested. Ultimately, it is determined that the formula for the standard deviation is 2√(Npq).
Someone1987

Homework Statement

I need to determine the standard deviation from the mean position value <x> in a random walk scenario. We are given that the probability of taking a step to the right is p and the probability of taking a step to left is q. Please note that p and q need not be equal. The starting point is x = 0 and we are only moving in one dimension.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just like to see if this solution seems valid. In a random walk, after taking N steps one's position is x = nR - nL where nR is the number of steps taken to the right and nL is the number of steps taken to the left. Both nR and nL of course follow binomial probability distributions. Using the fact that the variance = <x2> - <x>2, I went ahead and calculated these two expectation values for x2 and x.

It would seem to me that the expectation value of x is
<x> = <nR> - <nL>, thus using the fact that nR and nL follow binomial probability distributions, I get <x> = Np - Nq = N(2p-1). This formula seems reasonable to me as if p = 0.5, then <x> = 0 as one would expect.

Now for <x2>, I simplifed nR - nL to 2nR - N. Therefore x2 = 4nR2 - 4NnR + N2. Thus,
<x2> = <4NR2> - <4NnR> + <N2>

Using the formulas for the binomial distribution, I get
<x2> = 4(Np)2 - 4Np2 + 4Np - 4pN2 +N2.

Putting all this together and taking the square root to get the standard deviation, I get
[tex]\sigma[/tex] = 2[tex]\sqrt{Npq}[/tex].

This all seems reasonable to me but I am not really an expert on probability and statistics so I was hoping to get some thoughts on this solution. Any help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone1987 said:
It would seem to me that the expectation value of x is
<x> = <nR> - <nL>, ...
Now for <x2>, I simplifed nR - nL to 2nR - N.
... I was hoping to get some thoughts on this solution. Any help is very much appreciated.
I'm not an expert either, but I'm wondering about your separation of <x>. I believe that nR and nL are strongly correlated (r=-1), as demonstated by your treatment of <x2>. Doesn't this prevent you from separating <x> as you have done? I think that you should use x=2nR-N for <x> as well.

I understand your concern but I checked and taking the expected value of <2nR -N> gives you the exact same answer. I actually didn't separate them when I did my homework and in the process of computing <x> I could see that <x> = <nR> - <nL> is the same as splitting them apart and I just used this simplifying fact when I made this post. Thank you very much for your comment though. I appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts.

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes the process of taking successive steps in random directions. In this concept, each step is taken independently from the previous step, making it a random movement.

2. How is standard deviation calculated in a random walk?

In a random walk, the standard deviation is calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squared distances from the mean position. This means taking the difference between each step and the mean position, squaring it, and then adding all the squared distances together. Finally, take the square root of this sum to get the standard deviation.

3. What is the mean position in a random walk?

The mean position in a random walk is the average of all the steps taken. It is calculated by adding all the steps together and then dividing by the total number of steps.

4. How does the number of steps affect the standard deviation in a random walk?

The number of steps in a random walk directly affects the standard deviation. As the number of steps increases, the standard deviation also increases. This is because with more steps, there is a higher chance of taking larger steps in random directions, resulting in a greater distance from the mean position.

5. What is the significance of standard deviation in a random walk?

The standard deviation in a random walk is important because it measures the amount of variation or unpredictability in the data. A higher standard deviation means that the data points are spread out over a larger range, while a lower standard deviation indicates that the data points are more tightly clustered around the mean position.