Understanding Rank of a Matrix: Important Theorem and Demonstration

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the rank of a matrix and how it can be seen as the dimension of its image space. The conversation also questions the validity of a demonstration provided in a book, which uses a "trick" based on indexes to prove the definition. The speaker expresses concern about studying from a book with invalid demonstrations and wonders if they are simply verifying known properties rather than truly proving them.
Conrad Manfried
It is the demonstration of an important theorem I do not succeed in understanding.

"A matrix has rank k if - and only if - it has k rows - and k columns - linearly independent, whilst each one of the remaining rows - and columns - is a linear combination of the k preceding ones".

Let's suppose that the matrix is
$$\begin{bmatrix}a_{1,1}&a_{1,2}& \ldots&a_{1,n}\\a_{2,1}&a_{2,2}&\ldots&a_{2,n}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{m,1}&a_{m,2}&\ldots&a_{m,n}\end{bmatrix}\tag{1}$$
and let's suppose that the minor
$$\lambda = \begin{vmatrix}a_{1,1}&a_{1,2}&\ldots&a_{1,k}\\a_{2,1}&a_{2,2}&\ldots&a_{2,k}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{k,1}&a_{k,2}&\ldots&a_{k,n}\end{vmatrix}\tag{23}$$
formed by the first k rows and the first k columns - situation which it is always possible to get to by means of adequate substitutions between rows and columns - is not null. It should be noted that the first k rows are linearly independent. Indeed, should the contrary be true, at least one of the rows would be a linear combination of the remaining ones and minor (23) would be null against the hypothesis. Let's now consider minor (24) - having order k+1 - $$\begin{vmatrix}a_{1,1}&\ldots&a_{1,k}&a_{1,j}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{k,1}&\ldots&a_{k,k}&a_{k,j}\\a_{i,1}&\ldots&a_{i,k}&a_{i,j}\end{vmatrix}\tag{24}$$
with i=k+1,k+2,…,m and j=1,2,...,n. This minor is null: if j=<k because it happens to feature two identical columns, but even if j>k. Actually, determinant (24) can be developed according to the elements of the last column and one gets:
λai,j1a1,j2a2,j+ . . . + λkak,j = 0 (25)
where λ1, λ2, . . .,λk (26)
are nothing else but the algebraic complements - with respect to determinant (24) - of a1,j, a2,j, . . .,ak,j. It should be explicitly noted that (26) are constants and that they do not depend on j - WHY? - . After solving (25) with respect to ai,j - remember that λ is not null - and putting μ1 = −λ1/λ, μ2 = − λ2/λ, . . ., μk = − λk/λ, one gets ai,j = μ1a1,j + μ2a2,j + . . . +μkak,j with 1≤j≤n. As a consequence, the i-th row (i>k) in the matrix is nothing else but a linear combination of the first k ones.

The theorem is thus proved as for raws and can be analogously demonstrated as for columns.

I think that assuming that coefficients λ1, λ2, . . ., λk - algebraic complements with respect to the determinant (24) - do not depend on j - that is on the column, but only on i, that is on the row beyond the rank, even if the text of the demonstration does not explicitly admits it - is totally equivalent to the demonstration itself. But - even more - I wonder why the algebraic complements of the same index should always be equal in the corresponding positions independently on the columns on which one calculates the determinant. All the theorem is based on the fact that coefficients λ's depend only on the row to which they belong and that , as a consequence, if they belong to the same row, even if the column varies, they are equal. In fact, if they - generally - depended on (i,j) - that is if they were λi,j as I would have expected them to be and not simply λi -, the theorem would not be valid any longer.

If one develops the determinant (24 ): $$\begin{vmatrix}a_{1,1}&\ldots&a_{1,k}&a_{1,j}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{k,1}&\ldots&a_{k,k}&a_{k,j}\\a_{i,1}&\ldots&a_{i,k}&a_{i,j}\end{vmatrix} = \lambda a_{i,j} + \begin{vmatrix}a_{2,1}&\ldots&a_{2,k}\\a_{k,1}&\dots&a_{k,k}\\a_{i,1}&\ldots&a_{i,k}\end{vmatrix} a_{1,j} + . . . \tag{24-25} $$, one can easily realize that
$$\lambda_1 = \begin{vmatrix}a_{2,1}&\ldots&a_{2,k}\\a_{k,1}&\dots&a_{k,k}\\a_{i,1}&\ldots&a_{i,k}\end{vmatrix}$$ does not depend on j (it's, obviously, made with the lines 2 to k and i and the columns 1 to k).

But - formally, at least - it's not the same for the other columns. In fact, if one calculates λ's on other columns, it proves impossible to manage to formally show that - for the same index - they are equal and this - nevertheless - is what a sound demonstration should grant.

In fact, it is not sufficient to only prove that λ's are not dependent on j's, but it should be proved that they are equal when calculated on different columns of the matrix.

Am I right or not or what is totally escaping me in this demonstration ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conrad Manfried said:
"A matrix has rank k if - and only if - it has k rows - and k columns - linearly independent, whilst each one of the remaining rows - and columns - is a linear combination of the k preceding ones".
I don't think this is a good way to define it. At least I would speak of existing k rows or columns to avoid the misunderstanding of the first k. And the fact that the other row vectors are linear dependent, means that k is the maximal number with this property.

I like to think of the rank of a matrix as the dimension of the image space, i.e. if a matrix ##A## is representing the linear mapping ##A\, : \,\mathbb{F}^n \longrightarrow \mathbb{F}^m##, then ##\operatorname{rk}A = \dim A(\mathbb{F}^n)##.

As a formula, your definition can be written as: Let ##A =[a_1, \ldots , a_n]## (with row vectors ##a_i##), then
$$
\operatorname{rk} A = \operatorname{max}\{k \in \mathbb{N}\,\vert \,\exists_{\pi \in \mathcal{Sym}(n)} \; \{a_{\pi(1)}, \ldots , a_{\pi(k)} \} \text{ is linear independent }\}
$$
and with mine
$$
\operatorname{rk} A = \dim \operatorname{span}\{a_1, \ldots , a_n\}
$$

Likes Conrad Manfried
First of all, thanks a lot for answering. I agree with what you wrote. Maybe I did not manage to be clear: the definition I quoted is not mine, but it was taken from the book suggested by my teacher. Actually, the real purpose of my question was to know whether what I exactly copied from the book can be considered an effective demonstration - and I do not think so, but I may be wrong - or should deemed of as no more than a skilful "trick" based on indexes - which I strongly tend to think -.
If possible, this is what I would like to be told, because I would like to know whether I am actually loosing my time studying on a book where most of so called "demonstrations" are not valid as such and cannot be considered more than a sort of verifications of already known properties. This way I am likely to pass my exams as my teachers expect and request from me, but I will never learn to reason and distinguish between real proofs and tricky games - which I evaluate immensely more -.
Thanks again

Conrad Manfried said:
If possible, this is what I would like to be told, because I would like to know whether I am actually loosing my time studying on a book where most of so called "demonstrations" are not valid as such and cannot be considered more than a sort of verifications of already known properties.
You completely lost me between eq. 23 and eq. 24. Is it supposed that ##\operatorname{rk} A = k ##?It is important to be exact on what is known, stated, a given condition and what is intended to be shown. In the above it is not, in my opinion. What is the theorem? I can only see a definition. Maybe it's simply too late here, but I find it hard to read.

Last edited:
Likes Conrad Manfried
Thanks again for answering! Yes, the book I am studying on - and the teacher, who follows that book - supposes that rk A = k . What I exactly copied from the book - because I am not certain that a real demonstration can be performed this way - are intended to be the theorem's thesis and related demonstration.

The thesis - in the book - is:

The demonstration - at least, according to the book - is what follows in the text up to the final sentence:
"The theorem is thus proved as for rows and can be analogously demonstrated as for columns."

This is what is actually written in the book and I do not have but "to learn" and repeat it like an automa, but I am sure that this one cannot be considered a demonstration because it does not prove that λ's should be the same independently on the column on which they are calculated whilst - on the contrary - that would be absolutely necessary in order to be able to say that rows beyond k are linearly dependent - or am I wrong ? -.

Thanks

Obviously, the book's "demonstration" - I did not include in the previous message - is exactly the one I reported in my first message:

"Let's suppose that the matrix is
$$\begin{bmatrix}a_{1,1}&a_{1,2}& \ldots&a_{1,n}\\a_{2,1}&a_{2,2}&\ldots&a_{2,n}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{m,1}&a_{m,2}&\ldots&a_{m,n}\end{bmatrix}\tag{1}$$
and let's suppose that the minor
$$\lambda = \begin{vmatrix}a_{1,1}&a_{1,2}&\ldots&a_{1,k}\\a_{2,1}&a_{2,2}&\ldots&a_{2,k}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{k,1}&a_{k,2}&\ldots&a_{k,n}\end{vmatrix}\tag{23}$$
formed by the first k rows and the first k columns - situation which it is always possible to get to by means of adequate substitutions between rows and columns - is not null. It should be noted that the first k rows are linearly independent. Indeed, should the contrary be true, at least one of the rows would be a linear combination of the remaining ones and minor (23) would be null against the hypothesis. Let's now consider minor (24) - having order k+1 - $$\begin{vmatrix}a_{1,1}&\ldots&a_{1,k}&a_{1,j}\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots&\ldots\\a_{k,1}&\ldots&a_{k,k}&a_{k,j}\\a_{i,1}&\ldots&a_{i,k}&a_{i,j}\end{vmatrix}\tag{24}$$
with i=k+1,k+2,…,m and j=1,2,...,n. This minor is null: if j=<k because it happens to feature two identical columns, but even if j>k. Actually, determinant (24) can be developed according to the elements of the last column and one gets:
λai,j1a1,j2a2,j+ . . . + λkak,j = 0 (25)
where λ1, λ2, . . .,λk (26)
are nothing else but the algebraic complements - with respect to determinant (24) - of a1,j, a2,j, . . .,ak,j. It should be explicitly noted that (26) are constants and that they do not depend on j - WHY? - . After solving (25) with respect to ai,j - remember that λ is not null - and putting μ1 = −λ1/λ, μ2 = − λ2/λ, . . ., μk = − λk/λ, one gets ai,j = μ1a1,j + μ2a2,j + . . . +μkak,j with 1≤j≤n. As a consequence, the i-th row (i>k) in the matrix is nothing else but a linear combination of the first k ones."

1. What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. In other words, it is the number of rows or columns that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other rows or columns in the matrix.

2. Why is understanding the rank of a matrix important?

The rank of a matrix is an important concept in linear algebra and has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It helps in understanding the properties and behavior of a matrix, and is used in solving systems of linear equations, finding inverses of matrices, and determining the dimension of a vector space.

3. What is the rank-nullity theorem?

The rank-nullity theorem states that the rank of a matrix plus the dimension of its null space (the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0) equals the total number of columns in the matrix. In other words, the rank-nullity theorem relates the rank and nullity of a matrix as complementary properties.

4. How do you demonstrate the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix can be demonstrated by performing row operations on the matrix to obtain its reduced row echelon form (RREF). The rank of the RREF will be equal to the rank of the original matrix. Another way to demonstrate the rank is by finding the dimension of the row space or column space of the matrix.

5. Can the rank of a matrix be greater than the number of rows or columns?

No, the rank of a matrix cannot be greater than the number of rows or columns in the matrix. It is always less than or equal to the smaller of the two dimensions. This is because the rank is a measure of the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns, which cannot exceed the total number of rows or columns.