Ranking of Retro-programming languages

• Thread starter moriheru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ranking
In summary, the conversation discusses a thread ranking the best programming languages from the 60s to the early 90s. The original post is missing, but mentions a book that lists FORTH as the best language. There is a surprise that C and Perl are not on the list, and confusion about a programming language called LOGIC, which was meant to be LOGO. The thread is then locked due to the OP turning it into garbage.
moriheru
Greetings,
All right, I think the title says it all, yet to elaborate things a bit:
This thread ranks the best Programming languages(yes this is of course subjectiv!) of the 60s-80s and early 90s.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Boy, what a surprise! A book on Forth rating Forth as the best language. The best, Jerry, the best.

Yes, I know!

I've also never heard of a programming language called LOGIC, and I can't find any reference to one by that name.

That is because I miswrote myself. I meant LOGO.

moriheru said:
Greetings,
All right, I think the title says it all, yet to elaborate things a bit:
This thread ranks the best Programming languages(yes this is of course subjectiv!) of the 60s-80s and early 90s.
What thread? It looks like the link to the thread might have been edited out afterwards.

Mark44 said:
What thread?

I thought it was supposed to be this thread here...

jtbell said:
Mark44 said:
What thread?
I thought it was supposed to be this thread here...
Posts #2, #4 and #5 seem to be commenting on something outside this thread. What?

What no mention of COBOL?,... j/k.

Yes, C and C++, obviously.

DrGreg said:
Posts #2, #4 and #5 seem to be commenting on something outside this thread. What?

They're commenting on a list of languages that the OP deleted from Post #1, along with a reference to an unnamed book about FORTH that the list came from.

Since the OP has now turned this thread into garbage, I'm going to lock it.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of ranking retro-programming languages?

The purpose of ranking retro-programming languages is to evaluate and compare the different programming languages that were commonly used in the past. This can help programmers understand the evolution of programming languages and the different features and capabilities of each language.

What are some examples of retro-programming languages?

Examples of retro-programming languages include COBOL, FORTRAN, ALGOL, and BASIC. These languages were widely used in the 1960s and 1970s, but have since been largely replaced by newer languages.

How is the ranking of retro-programming languages determined?

The ranking of retro-programming languages is typically determined by considering factors such as popularity, usability, and relevance in today's programming landscape. Other factors may include the availability of resources and support for the language, as well as its influence on modern programming languages.

Why is it important to study and rank retro-programming languages?

Studying and ranking retro-programming languages allows us to understand the foundations of modern programming languages. It also helps us appreciate the advancements and improvements that have been made in programming languages over time and how they have shaped the way we code today.

Is there a definitive ranking of retro-programming languages?

No, there is not a definitive ranking of retro-programming languages as it is subjective and can vary depending on the criteria used for evaluation. Additionally, the relevance and usage of these languages may change over time, making it difficult to have a fixed ranking.