Calculating Population Growth Rate using Derivatives

In summary, the problem involves finding the derivative of a bacterial growth equation and interpreting the results. The resulting derivative is found using the product rule, sum and difference rule, and quotient rule. However, the resulting derivative may have a simpler form than the initial attempt. Additional information may be needed to confirm the accuracy of the solution.
cdoss

Homework Statement

A population of 500 bacteria is introduced into a culture and grows in number according to the equation P(t)=500(1+(4t/(50+t2), where t is measured in hours. Find P'(2), an interpret the results.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the product rule, sum and difference rule, and the quotient rule, but it seems like I used it a lot and there is a lot of steps that I used. I think I am over-thinking this problem. But I got 10000-200t2/(50+t2)2

Physics news on Phys.org
cdoss said:
P(t)=500(1+(4t/(50+t2), where t is measured in hours.
Is it supposed to be this?
[tex]P(t) = 500\left( 1 + \frac{4t}{50 + t^2}\right)[/tex]
I also got something different for P'(t).

hi cdoss! :smile:
cdoss said:
I used the product rule, sum and difference rule, and the quotient rule, but it seems like I used it a lot and there is a lot of steps that I used. I think I am over-thinking this problem. But I got 10000-200t2/(50+t2)2

where is there a product? i only see a quotient :confused:

show us your full calculations :smile:

FAQ: Calculating Population Growth Rate using Derivatives

1. What is the definition of rate of change derivative?

The rate of change derivative, also known as the derivative, is a mathematical concept that describes the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How is the rate of change derivative calculated?

The rate of change derivative is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches zero. In other words, it is the limit of the slope between two points on the function as the distance between those points becomes infinitesimally small.

3. What is the relationship between rate of change derivative and slope?

The rate of change derivative and slope are closely related. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to a function at a specific point, while the slope represents the steepness of the line connecting two points on the function. In fact, the derivative is often referred to as the "instantaneous slope."

4. How can the rate of change derivative be used in real-world applications?

The rate of change derivative has many applications in the real world. It can be used in physics to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, in economics to determine the marginal cost of production, and in engineering to optimize functions for maximum efficiency.

5. How does the rate of change derivative relate to the concept of continuity?

The rate of change derivative is closely linked to the concept of continuity. If a function is continuous, it means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. This also means that the rate of change derivative exists for every point on the function, as there are no sudden changes in slope. On the other hand, if a function is not continuous, the rate of change derivative does not exist at certain points.

Back