1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change of distance from origin?

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves along the parabola [tex]y = 4x^{2} [/tex] such that it's x coordinate increases at a steady rate of 5 units/minute.
    How fast is the particle's distance from the origin changing when it is at the point (1,4)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no idea how to start this problem. A couple of ideas that pop up in my head are to take the derivatives [tex]\frac {dx}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\frac {dy}{dt}[/tex] and use them to take the derivative of the distance formula from the origin, but there is no t...

I have no idea. Someone help get me started?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Go with that thought. You have two pieces of information:
    the distance of a point (x,y) from the origin is given by [tex]s^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex] and the position of a point (x,y) on the parabola is (x, x^2).

You will be interested in ds/dt. Differentiate the distance equation implicitly with respect to t after making the appropriate substitutions.

If you haven't had implicit differentiation yet, no matter. Make the appropriate substitutions into the distance equation and you will have the distance as a function of x only, which you can then solve for s and differentiate with respect to t.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?