Rate of Increase in Area of Circle with Circumference 20pi m

In summary, the rate of increase in the area of a circle is 4pi m^2 per second when the radius is 10 meters and the circumference is 20pi meters.
Johny 5

Homework Statement

The radius of a circle is increasing at a constant rate of 0.2 meter per second. What is the rate of increase in the area of the circle at the instant when the circumference of the circle is 20pi meters?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to approach the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way to approach such problems is to find a relationship between the two quantities and then apply the chain rule to find the quantity you're interested in.

What is the relationship between the radius of a circle and its area?
Once you have that, try differentiating both sides with respect to time.

a=(pi)(r^2)...
how could i differentiate a?.. dA/dt?

It's quite simple when you look at it really.
You have dr/dt (rate of increase of radius) = 0.2 where r = radius and t = time (seconds).
you are looking for dA/dt where A = area of circle

[tex] A = \pi r^2 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{dA}{dr} \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex] <-- chain rule.

[tex] \frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{d}{dr}[ \pi r^2 ]= 2 \pi r [/tex]

Therefore the rule for rate of area increase = [tex] 0.4 \pi r [/tex]

Now you just have to find it at the instant when circumference = [tex] 20 \pi [/tex]

I'm sure you can take it from here easily. I hope I didn't give away too much.

Last edited:
Thank you :)

C = 2(pi)r
r = C/2(pi)
r = 20pi/2pi
r = 10
dA/dt = 2(pi)r * dr/dt
dA/dt = 2(pi)r * 0.2
dA/dt = 2(pi)(10) * 0.2
dA/dt = 4pi
is that correct?

Looks fine to me. You may get marked down if you don't include units, ie. 4pi m^2 per second.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a circle with a circumference of 20pi m?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle is A = πr², where π is the constant pi and r is the radius of the circle. In this case, the circumference is given as 20pi m, so we can solve for the radius by dividing the circumference by 2π, giving us a radius of 10 m. Plugging this into the formula, we get A = 3.14 x 10² = 314 square meters.

2. How does the area of a circle change as the circumference increases?

As the circumference of a circle increases, the area also increases. This is because the radius of the circle also increases, and the area is directly proportional to the square of the radius. In other words, as the radius increases, the area increases at a faster rate.

3. Is there a specific rate of increase in the area of a circle with a circumference of 20pi m?

Yes, there is a specific rate of increase in the area of a circle with a circumference of 20pi m. This can be calculated by taking the derivative of the area formula with respect to the radius. The rate of increase in this case would be 2π, meaning that for every increase in the radius by 1 m, the area will increase by 2π square meters.

4. How does the rate of increase in the area of a circle change for different circumferences?

The rate of increase in the area of a circle is directly proportional to the circumference. This means that as the circumference increases, the rate of increase in the area also increases. However, the exact rate of increase may vary depending on the size of the circumference.

5. Can the rate of increase in the area of a circle be negative?

No, the rate of increase in the area of a circle cannot be negative. This is because the area of a circle can only increase as the circumference increases. If the circumference were to decrease, the area would also decrease, but it cannot become negative.