Ratio of effective and average voltage

In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio of two voltages, U_ef and U_avg, given by U_ef=U_m/sqrt(3) and U_avg=U_m/2. The solution involves finding the effective and average voltages of the two given lines and using the equations U_ef=sqrt(U_ef1^2+U_ef2^2) and U_avg=U_avg1+U_avg2 to find the ratio. The mistake made by the person asking the question was not multiplying with appropriate factors.
crom1

Homework Statement

See the diagram. Find $$\frac{U_{ef}}{U_{avg}}$$ .

Homework Equations

[/B]
$$ U_{ef}=\frac{U_m}{\sqrt3} , U_{avg} = \frac{U_m}{2} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

This one should be easy.I know that official solution probably divided $$\frac{2}{\sqrt3} \approx 1.154$$ (which is correct), but I am not sure why can we do that in this case, when we have 2 different kinds of lines, one with
u=5/3 t and second one u=-5/4t+35/4 . What did was found the effective of the first one and the second one, average of first one and second one , used $$ U_{avg}= U_{avg1}+U_{avg2}$$ , and $$U_{ef}^2 = U_{ef1}^2+U_{ef2}^2$$. My question is why is mine incorrect, and the solution shown above correct?

Attachments

• zadatak.png
    zadatak.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found my mistake, I forgot to multiply with 3/7 and 4/7 and with sqrt(3/7) and sqrt(4/7).

FAQ: Ratio of effective and average voltage

1. What is the difference between effective and average voltage?

The effective voltage, also known as the root mean square (rms) voltage, is a measure of the voltage that takes into account the varying amplitude and direction of an alternating current or voltage. On the other hand, the average voltage is simply the arithmetic mean of the voltage waveform over a given period of time.

2. How is the ratio of effective and average voltage calculated?

The ratio of effective and average voltage is calculated by dividing the effective voltage by the average voltage. This ratio is often denoted as a form factor and is typically represented as a decimal or percentage.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of effective and average voltage?

The ratio of effective and average voltage is important because it provides information about the shape of the voltage waveform. A higher ratio indicates a waveform with sharper peaks and a lower ratio indicates a more flattened or smoother waveform. This information is useful in analyzing and understanding the characteristics of different types of electrical systems.

4. How does the ratio of effective and average voltage affect electrical equipment?

The ratio of effective and average voltage can affect electrical equipment in various ways. For example, a higher ratio may cause more stress on equipment, leading to potential damage or failure. Additionally, the ratio can affect the efficiency of equipment and the accuracy of voltage measurements.

5. Can the ratio of effective and average voltage be altered?

Yes, the ratio of effective and average voltage can be altered by changing the shape of the voltage waveform. This can be achieved by using different types of filters or by adjusting the circuit design. In some cases, it may also be possible to adjust the ratio by changing the input voltage or using voltage regulators.