1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ratio of functions, surjective (analysis course)

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let f: R->R be a continuous function
    Suppose k>=1 is an integer such that

lim f(x)/x^k = lim f(x)/x^k = 0
    x->inf x->-inf

set g(x)= x^k + f(x)

g: R->R

Prove that
    (i) if k is odd, then g is surjective
    (ii) if k is even, then there is a real number y such that the image of g is [y,inf)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely stuck at this all I can think of is x^k goes to infinity then the ratio of the functions can go to 0 if either f(x) goes to 0 or f(x) is a constant or f(x) goes to infinity slower than x^k (I am not sure about this)

Any help will be very much appreciateve

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2
    Because [tex]g[/tex] is continuous, you can use the intermediate value theorem. To show that [tex]g[/tex] is surjective, it is enough to show that [tex]g[/tex] becomes both very large and very large negative.

To prove this part, you need to think about the qualitative behavior of [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex]. The hypothesis on [tex]f[/tex] says that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is negligible compared to [tex]x^k[/tex] as [tex]|x|[/tex] becomes large. Therefore [tex]g(x)[/tex] should "behave almost like" [tex]x^k[/tex] as [tex]|x|[/tex] becomes large. Figure out a way to make this precise.

4. Dec 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the reply.
    Where do I use the intermediate value theorem? Is it to prove surjective?

5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    Yes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook