Ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit

In summary: It is wrong.In summary, the correct ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit is Vb/Va = rA/rB, as derived from conservation of angular momentum and the vis-viva equation. The incorrect answer vB/vA = √(rA/rB) is likely a result of using a naive form of centripetal acceleration, which does not apply to non-circular orbits.
mike115
[SOLVED] Ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit

Hi, I need some clarification on a problem.

The problem is: The diagram shows a view of the Earth's elliptic orbit about the sun. (This was the closest picture I could find.) In terms of Ra (the distance between the sun and point A) and Rb (the distance between the sun and point B), what is the ratio Vb/Va?

Using conservation of angular momentum, L = I*w = m*r^2*v/r = m*r*v,
m*rA*vA = m*rB*vB
vB/vA = rA/rB
So the velocity is inversely related to the distance from the sun.

However, the answer given is the square root of rA/rB. I can get this answer by equating Newton's gravitational law with the centripetal force, but doesn't centripetal acceleration only work for circular orbits?

Which answer is correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• meug1.gif
    meug1.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mike115 said:
Using conservation of angular momentum, L = I*w
You can't use an inertia tensor here. Inertia tensors are used to describe the behavior of rigid bodies. The Sun-Earth system is not a rigid body.

mike115 said:
Hi, I need some clarification on a problem.

The problem is: The diagram shows a view of the Earth's elliptic orbit about the sun. (This was the closest picture I could find.) In terms of Ra (the distance between the sun and point A) and Rb (the distance between the sun and point B), what is the ratio Vb/Va?

Using conservation of angular momentum, L = I*w = m*r^2*v/r = m*r*v,
m*rA*vA = m*rB*vB
vB/vA = rA/rB
So the velocity is inversely related to the distance from the sun.

The angular momentum is conserved, so this answer is correct.

mike115 said:
However, the answer given is the square root of rA/rB. I can get this answer by equating Newton's gravitational law with the centripetal force, but doesn't centripetal acceleration only work for circular orbits?

Which answer is correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can' t use centripetal acceleration in the naive form

[tex]\vec{a}_r=-r\,\dot{\theta}^2\,\vec{e}_r[/tex]

in a non-circular orbit. The full form of centripetal acceleration is

[tex]\vec{a}_r=(\ddot{r}-r\,\dot{\theta}^2)\,\vec{e}_r[/tex]

The distance [tex] r[/tex] varies with time so the first term of the left hand side is not zero.

By the way, you can use for the inertia momentum the formula

[tex]I=m\,r^2 \quad (1)[/tex]

since it's definition (for a ridig body) is

[tex] I=m_1\,r_1^2+\dots +m_\nu\,r_\nu^2\Rightarrow I=\int r^2\,d\,m[/tex]

and for a point particle reproduces (1).

The Sun-Earth velocity vector is normal to the Sun-Earth position vector at perihelion and apohelion. Thus the magnitude of the angular momentum vector at these points is simply the product of the magnitudes of the Sun-Earth distance and the magnitude of the Sun-Earth velocity vector. Since angular momentum is a conserved quantity,

[tex]
v_A r_A = v_B r_B
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\frac{v_A}{v_B} = \frac{r_B}{r_A}
[/tex]

The same result can be derived from the vis-viva equation,

[tex]v^2=\mu\left(\frac 2 r - \frac 1 a\right)[/tex]

At apohelion, [itex]r_A=(1+e)a[/itex] and at perihelion, [itex]r_B=(1-e)a[/itex]. Thus

[tex]
v_A^2=\mu\left(\frac 2 {r_A} - \frac 1 a\right)
= \frac {\mu}{r_A}(2 - (1+e))
= \frac {\mu}{r_A}(1-e)
= \frac {\mu} a \frac {r_B} {r_A}
[/tex]

Similarly,

[tex]
v_B^2=\mu\left(\frac 2 {r_B} - \frac 1 a\right)
= \frac {\mu}{r_B}(2 - (1-e))
= \frac {\mu}{r_B}(1+e)
= \frac {\mu} a \frac {r_A} {r_B}
[/tex]

Thus

[tex]
\frac {v_A} {v_B} = \frac {r_B} {r_A}
[/tex]

Conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum yield the same result.

Where did you get the "answer" [itex]v_B/v_a = \sqrt{r_A/r_B}[/itex]?

Last edited:

1. What is the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit?

The ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit, also known as the eccentricity ratio, is the ratio between the maximum and minimum speeds of an object in an elliptical orbit around a central body. This ratio is affected by the shape and size of the ellipse, as well as the mass of the central body.

2. How is the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit calculated?

The ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit can be calculated using the equation:
vmax/vmin = (1 + e) / (1 - e), where vmax is the maximum speed, vmin is the minimum speed, and e is the eccentricity of the orbit.

3. Why is the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit important?

The ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit is important because it determines the shape and size of the orbit. A higher ratio means a more eccentric orbit, while a lower ratio indicates a more circular orbit. This ratio also affects the orbital period and the gravitational force experienced by the object.

4. Does the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit change over time?

Yes, the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit can change over time. This is because the eccentricity of an orbit can change due to external forces, such as gravitational perturbations from other objects or the effects of tidal forces. However, the change in eccentricity is usually very small and the ratio of speeds remains relatively constant.

5. How does the ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit compare to other types of orbits?

The ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit is different from that of other types of orbits, such as circular or parabolic orbits. For example, in a circular orbit, the ratio of speeds remains constant at 1, while in a parabolic orbit, the ratio is equal to 2. The ratio of speeds in an elliptic orbit falls between these two values and can vary depending on the eccentricity of the orbit.