Ratio of uniforms method proof

In summary, the conversation is about solving a question regarding joint probability and normalizing factors. The person was stuck on finding the joint pdf but eventually found the answer.
crazy2006
Hi everybody:
I am trying to solve this question:
[URL=http://imageshugger.com/][PLAIN]http://imageshugger.com/images/wviidazp3mf06ej32.jpg[/URL]

I have made the following:
u=y
v=xy

Calculated the Jacobian, which is |-y|=y
then as I know that is unnormalized I need to normalized first using a double integral as a normalizing factor, the thing is that I am stuck there :cry:
please could you help me to get the joint pdf of X and Y
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework?

no homework, this question is posted in a book about probability and also it is somewhat explained into the paper of 1977 of Kinderman and Monahan, but as I said I got stucked into the joint pdf and not get the answer
any help would be valuable

nevermind I got the answer, thanks anyway

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress so far. The Ratio of Uniforms method is a technique used for generating random numbers from any continuous probability distribution. It involves using a uniform random number generator and transforming it into a sample from the desired distribution.

In order to find the joint probability density function (pdf) of X and Y, you will need to use the Jacobian transformation and the normalizing factor you mentioned. The joint pdf can be calculated using the formula:

f(x,y) = f(u,v) * |J(u,v)| / K

Where f(u,v) is the pdf of the transformed variables u and v, |J(u,v)| is the absolute value of the Jacobian determinant, and K is the normalizing factor.

In this case, since u = y and v = xy, the Jacobian determinant is simply |J(u,v)| = |y| = y. And the normalizing factor can be found by integrating the joint pdf over the entire range of x and y, which will give you a value of 1.

Therefore, the joint pdf of X and Y can be written as:

f(x,y) = f(u,v) * y

You can then substitute in the pdf of u and v, which in this case is the uniform distribution. So if u and v are both between 0 and 1, then f(u,v) = 1. This gives you:

f(x,y) = y

Which is the joint pdf of X and Y. I hope this helps you to continue with your problem. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the ratio of uniforms method proof?

The ratio of uniforms method proof is a mathematical technique used to approximate the probability of an event occurring. It involves creating a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How does the ratio of uniforms method proof work?

The ratio of uniforms method proof works by randomly selecting a large number of samples and calculating the ratio of favorable outcomes to total outcomes. As the number of samples increases, the ratio will approach the true probability of the event occurring.

3. What are the advantages of using the ratio of uniforms method proof?

Some advantages of using the ratio of uniforms method proof are that it is relatively simple and easy to understand, it can be applied to a wide range of problems, and it can provide a good approximation of the true probability with a large enough sample size.

4. Are there any limitations to the ratio of uniforms method proof?

Yes, there are some limitations to the ratio of uniforms method proof. It may not work well for complex or highly dependent events, and it requires a large sample size to provide an accurate approximation of the probability.

5. How is the ratio of uniforms method proof used in real-life situations?

The ratio of uniforms method proof is commonly used in various fields such as economics, finance, and engineering to estimate probabilities and make decisions based on those probabilities. It can also be used in data analysis and statistical modeling to understand the likelihood of certain outcomes.