Rational Functions with Vertical and Horizontal Asymptotes: Finding the Equation

• Thread starter a150daysflood
  • Start date
In summary, the rational function has vertical asymptotes at x=2 and x=-3 and a horizontal asymptote at y=-2.
a150daysflood
Functions f and g are defined as follows:
f:x -->ln(2+x) , x> -2
g:x-->1/(x+3)+2 , x<-3

(ii)Explain why the composite function fg cannot be properly defined unless the domain of g is restricted to a subset of {where x is real,x < -3}.State the largest possible subset for fg to exist and find the corresponding range.

My problem:
Domain of f is x>-2,
Range of g is (2,-infinity].
So g is not a subset of f,then why did the question says that it can be properly defined if it is restricted to {where x is real,x < -3}?
Please enlighten me thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
a150daysflood said:
Functions f and g are defined as follows:
f:x -->ln(2+x) , x> -2
g:x-->1/(x+3)+2 , x<-3

(ii)Explain why the composite function fg cannot be properly defined unless the domain of g is restricted to a subset of {where x is real,x < -3}.State the largest possible subset for fg to exist and find the corresponding range.

My problem:
Domain of f is x>-2,
Range of g is (2,-infinity].
So g is not a subset of f,then why did the question says that it can be properly defined if it is restricted to {where x is real,x < -3}?
Please enlighten me thank you.

?? It does't say that! It says that it "cannot be properly defined unles the domain of g is restricted to a subset of {x< -3}".

As you say, the domain of f is {x> -2}. In order that f(g(x)) be defined, we must have g(x)> -2. That is the same as saying
[tex]\frac{1}{x+3}+ 2> -2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{x+3}> -4[/itex]
Since the definition of g restricts x to x< -3, x+ 3< 0. Multiplying both sides of the inequality by the negative number x+ 3 we get
[tex]1< -4(x+3)= -4x- 12[/itex]
[tex]13< -4x[/itex]
[itex]x> -13/4= -3.25[/itex]
Since x must be less than -3 by the definition of g, f(g(x)) is defined only for -3.25< x< -3.

I think you want x<-13/4. Looks like in the last step you flipped both the direction of the inequality and the side of the inequality the x is on.

i have a few questions that i just can't seem to understand, if you could PLEASE help me i'd appreciate it!
Consider the quadratic function f(x)=2x^2+4x-3
what is the domain and range of f(x)?

and
Find ALL asymptotes of the function f(x)=x^2-x-12

and lastly Find the x- and y- intercepts of f(x)= x^2-x-12

They might be SUPER easy to you guys but I am just not understanding. Thanks for the time that you've looked over this.
email me at girlsridemx2@yahoo.com

girlsridemx2,
I'll help with some of that:

For your first f(x), no restriction is needed in the use of all real numbers. You can perform completion of the square to convert into standard form and find the minimum (x, y) vertex. This will tell you your range for the function. The y values will be all real numbers greater than or equal to f(x) for this particular x value.

To help with your second example, remember that division by zero is impossible; so (x-2) will never be zero, meaning x must never equal negative 2. The function there will also have a minimum point, so the values for range will be f(x) for the vertex point and all real numbers greater than this but EXCLUDING x=2

x intercepts are f(x)=0 when f(x)= x^2-x-12=0

by factorising [itex]x^2-x-12=0 \rightarrow (x+3)(x-4)=0[/itex]

so this happens when x=4 and x=-3

the y intercept is at f(0) or x=0, I'm sure you can work that out.

Last edited:
thank you so much! that make a lot more sense.

How about this last one.
Write an equation of a rational function that has vertical asymptotes at x=2 and x=-3 and a horizontal asymptote at y=-2... i have no clue where to even start, i went to the math lab but they were at lunch so i couldn't wait around for them.

Thank you for all of your guys help.

Related to Rational Functions with Vertical and Horizontal Asymptotes: Finding the Equation

1. What is a function in mathematics?

A function in mathematics is a rule or relationship between two sets of values, where each input has a unique output. It can be represented as a mathematical equation or a graph, and is used to describe the behavior of a system or process.

2. How do you define the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To define the domain and range of a function, you can look at the values that are allowed and produced by the function, respectively.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear function?

A linear function is a function where the rate of change of the output is constant with respect to the input, resulting in a straight line when graphed. A non-linear function, on the other hand, has a varying rate of change and does not result in a straight line when graphed. Examples of non-linear functions include quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

4. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one or onto?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input has a unique output, while an onto function is a function where every output has at least one corresponding input. To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test, which states that a function is one-to-one if no horizontal line intersects the graph more than once. To determine if a function is onto, you can check if the range is equal to the codomain.

5. How can you use functions to solve real-world problems?

Functions are used in a wide range of fields to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used to predict future outcomes, optimize processes, and make decisions based on data. For example, functions can be used in finance to model compound interest, in physics to describe the motion of objects, and in biology to model population growth.