Rationalising Surds: Get the Answers You Need - Daniel

• MHB
  • Thread starter danielw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of x and y in an equation involving perfect squares. The discussion includes simplifying the equation and considering the range of possible values for x and y. Ultimately, it is determined that x=7 and y=-8.
danielw
Hi All

This is my question.

View attachment 5871

I don't know how to begin working on it.

I already tried simplifying the first part to: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{63} = \sqrt{7 \cdot 3^3}=\sqrt{7}\sqrt{3^2}=3\sqrt{7}\)

But this doesn't get me closer to answering the first part of the question, and I think the same technique will apply to the second part. I would be grateful for some guidance!

Thanks.

Daniel

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 62
Mathematics news on Phys.org
To find $x$, consider:

\(\displaystyle x^2\le63<(x+1)^2\)

So, think of the perfect squares that will fit the bill here:

\(\displaystyle 7^2\le63<8^2\)

Thus, $x=7$...can you now find $y$?

MarkFL said:
To find $x$, consider:

\(\displaystyle x^2\le63<(x+1)^2\)

So, think of the perfect squares that will fit the bill here:

\(\displaystyle 7^2\le63<8^2\)

Thus, $x=7$...can you now find $y$?

So since \(\displaystyle y^2=-(51)\), \(\displaystyle y\) is between 7 (\(\displaystyle 7^2=49\)) and 8 (\(\displaystyle 8^2=64\)), \(\displaystyle y=7\)?

The question for finding $y$ has an error in it...we are looking for an integer rather than a natural number. Natural numbers are denoted by $\mathbb{N}$ whereas integers are denoted by $\mathbb{Z}$.

We observe that $y$ must be a negative number (do you see why?), and so we can write:

\(\displaystyle (y+1)^2\le51<y^2\)

Since all 3 values are negative, we change the direction of the inequality when squaring.

And if we write:

\(\displaystyle 7^2\le51<8^2\)

We may then write:

\(\displaystyle y^2=8^2\)

And we take the negative root here, to obtain:

\(\displaystyle y=-8\)

Does this make sense?

What is a surd?

A surd is a mathematical expression that includes a root, such as square roots or cube roots, that cannot be simplified to a rational number.

Why do we need to rationalise surds?

Rationalising surds allows us to remove the radical from the denominator of a fraction, making it easier to work with and solve mathematically.

How do you rationalise a surd?

To rationalise a surd, we multiply both the numerator and denominator by the same surd so that the denominator becomes a rational number. This is done to eliminate the radical from the denominator.

What are the steps for rationalising a surd?

The steps for rationalising a surd include: 1) Identify the surd in the denominator, 2) Multiply both the numerator and denominator by the same surd, 3) Simplify the resulting fraction, if possible.

Can all surds be rationalised?

No, not all surds can be rationalised. Only surds with a single root (e.g. square root, cube root) can be rationalised. Surds with multiple roots (e.g. fourth root, fifth root) cannot be rationalised.