Ray Optics (Refraction Theory)

In summary, the focus point changes from that in part (a) because the index of refraction of the hemisphere is increased by 0.5 percent.
lmnt

Homework Statement

Paralel light rays travel from air to a glass hemisphere with radius R and
index of refraction n[tex]_{g}[/tex]that is greater than n[tex]_{air}[/tex]. A top view is shown in the attached image.
(a) Where do the rays focus relative to the point P?
(b) The index of refraction of the hemisphere is increased by 0.5 percent. Does the
focus point change from that in part (a)? If so, then by how much?

Radius=-R (negative since its concave from the picture)
n[tex]_{air}[/tex]=1.00

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{n1}{s}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n2}{s'}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{n2-n1}{R}[/tex] where solving for s' would give the point of focus,f (ie. s'=f)
I don't think i can use any of the thin lens eqn's since, well, its not a thin lens right?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, I'm very confused about what we can assume. Is the distance of the source, s, approximately infinity? or would the source be the distance from p to the flat surface, the radius, R? I'm not really sure either how the rays would interact with the curved surface once it goes through.
If i assume that s=[tex]\infty[/tex], then i get with the above equation to be f=[tex]\frac{-R}{1-n1}[/tex] But how do i justify that assumption?
Also, if I assume s=R, then i get f=-R.
I'm really sure if either of these are correct, and if one is...why exactly is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the object is at infinity (s=infinity), the image would be at the focal point, so f=-R/(1-n1). If you bring the object closer, the point where the light rays focus would increase, becoming -R at s=R. To calculate the answer for a), you need to know where point P is.

oohhkay thanks for clarifying, and i attached a picture, but i don't really noe where that went...anways, it showed a hemisphere with rays coming at it from the right...like p·( <---
and point · p would be at the centre of the curve. So then, from what you're saying, the focus point would be R away? And another question, if it doesn't indicate a source, it just says parallel light rays are coming towards the glass, then do i consider the source as infinity?

What is the theory of refraction in ray optics?

The theory of refraction in ray optics explains how light behaves when it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. It describes how light bends or changes direction as it moves from one medium to another.

What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. In other words, it describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a given medium.

How does refraction affect the speed and direction of light?

When light passes through a medium with a different optical density, it changes speed and direction. This is because different mediums have different refractive indices, which determine how much light is bent when it passes through. The higher the refractive index, the greater the bending of light.

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when light is traveling from a medium with a higher refractive index to one with a lower refractive index, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. In this scenario, all of the light is reflected back into the original medium instead of passing through. This phenomenon is used in fiber optics to transmit light signals over long distances.

How is the behavior of light in mirrors and lenses explained by ray optics?

Mirrors and lenses are both optical devices that use the principles of reflection and refraction to manipulate light. In ray optics, mirrors are described as having a smooth, shiny surface that reflects light at the same angle as it hits the surface. Lenses, on the other hand, use refraction to bend light and focus it at a specific point, which is how they are able to magnify or reduce the size of objects.