RC-Blimp propulsion system on larger a larger scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a single person aircraft with vertical take-off and landing using a propulsion system similar to that of an RC-blimp. The individual asking the question has researched and found a video on YouTube that illustrates the principle of how the system would work. They are seeking input on the type and size of motor needed to lift the aircraft and pilot. The conversation also compares the use of ducted fans in blimps and the Martin Jet Pack, which has the ability to move around. The individual clarifies that they are not trying to copy the Martin Jet Pack's design and are seeking input on their alternate concept with movable ducts and motors.
Priesthood
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading my very first post in Physics Forums! I have been researching a way to construct a single person aircraft with vertical take-off and landing using a propulsion system similar to that of an RC-blimp. I found a video on youtube that illustrates the principle of how I would like the system to work, but on a much larger scale. Please view the following video before reading on:

As you can see in the video, it is a "ducted fan" system with a motor underneath each prop. My question is, how large (hp/torque/displacement) of a motor and what type would I need to fit under a prop that would be able to lift not only the relatively small (<=300lb) aircraft body/frame, but also the pilot (<=250lb)?

I look forward to hearing your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In lighter than air craft such as blimps, the ducted fans do not provide the lift for the craft. They are used for propulsion and maneuvering. The envelope of the blimp contains a gas (usually helium) which is lighter than air. The principle of buoyancy is what enables the craft to stay aloft.

I am aware that a blimp uses those ducted fans simply for directing is travel through the air. I am trying to see if it is possible to create a system that can both lift and direct. The Martin Jet Pack as seen in the link below uses ducted fans for lift, but the system is static. My ultimate question I guess is can this be done where the system is dynamic?

http://martinjetpack.com/technical-information.aspx

Priesthood said:
I am aware that a blimp uses those ducted fans simply for directing is travel through the air. I am trying to see if it is possible to create a system that can both lift and direct. The Martin Jet Pack as seen in the link below uses ducted fans for lift, but the system is static. My ultimate question I guess is can this be done where the system is dynamic?

http://martinjetpack.com/technical-information.aspx

Why do you call that jetpack static? It would appear to have the mobility that you are looking for.

And "jetpack" is a bit of a misnomer anyway, isn't it? It's powered by a V-4 engine, not jet combustion...

When I say static, I mean that the ducted fans ON the jet pack are in a fixed position unlike the blimps ducted fans that rotate. Yes, the jet pack does have the ability to move around in the same manner I am looking for, but I am also not trying to copy their design. That's why I posted on this forum to see if this alternate concept with movable ducts with motors underneath each prop was even possible.

1. What is an RC-Blimp propulsion system?

An RC-Blimp propulsion system is a mechanism used to propel a blimp, which is a type of airship that is controlled remotely using a radio transmitter. This system typically consists of motors, propellers, and a battery, which work together to provide thrust and control the movement of the blimp.

2. How does an RC-Blimp propulsion system work?

The motors in an RC-Blimp propulsion system spin the propellers, which create a force known as thrust. This thrust is what moves the blimp in different directions, as the propellers can be tilted and rotated to control the direction of the thrust. The battery provides power to the motors, allowing them to spin the propellers.

3. Can an RC-Blimp propulsion system be scaled up for larger blimps?

Yes, an RC-Blimp propulsion system can be scaled up for larger blimps. However, this may require more powerful motors and larger propellers to provide enough thrust to move the larger blimp. It is important to carefully consider the weight and size of the blimp when designing a propulsion system for it.

4. What are the advantages of using an RC-Blimp propulsion system?

One advantage of using an RC-Blimp propulsion system is that it allows for precise and remote control of the blimp's movement. This can be especially useful for scientific research or surveillance purposes. Additionally, the use of electric motors and batteries makes the system more environmentally friendly compared to other types of airship propulsion systems.

5. Are there any limitations of using an RC-Blimp propulsion system?

One limitation of using an RC-Blimp propulsion system is that it may not be suitable for larger blimps or in certain weather conditions. Strong winds can make it difficult to control the blimp, and larger blimps may require more powerful and expensive motors to provide enough thrust. Additionally, the battery life may be limited, which can affect the duration of the blimp's flight.