Understanding RC Circuit Formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses RC circuits and four formulas related to them. It is mentioned that 1b is the solution to 1a and 1d is the solution to 1c. The conversation then moves on to discussing questions and tasks related to these equations, such as proving that 1b is the solution by plugging it into 1a and demonstrating that RC has the dimensions of time. The conversation also mentions differentiating 1d to obtain an expression for current.
dmitriylm

Homework Statement

I'm doing a physics lab and have a question about RC circuits. I'm given four formulas:

1a) dQ/dt = -Q/RC
1b) Q = (Qo)e^(-t/RC)
1c) E - RI - Q/C = 0 ---> R(dQ/dt) + Q/C - E = 0
1d) Q(t) = CE[1 - e^(-t/RC)]

I am told that 1b is the solution to 1a and 1d is the solution to 1c.

a) Equation 1b is called "the solution" to the differential question, 1a because when you plug in Q(t) (from 1b) into equation 1a, the resulting left side of the equation is equal to the right side. Prove that 1b is the solution by plugging it into equation 1a.

b) Demonstrate that RC has the dimensions of time.

c) Plug 1d into 1c and show that it works, as you did in question a.

d) Differentiate Q(t) to obtain an expression for the current.

Homework Equations

1a) dQ/dt = -Q/RC
1b) Q = (Qo)e^(-t/RC)
1c) E - RI - Q/C = 0 ---> R(dQ/dt) + Q/C - E = 0
1d) Q(t) = CE[1 - e^(-t/RC)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure what should be done to make this work. Can anyone please explain this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really more of an Introductory Physics type question.

a) they are telling you exactly how to proceed--plug eq. 1b into eq. 1a. (you'll need to be able to differentiate eq. 1b with respect to time).
b) you are being asked to do a dimensional analysis of RC. Hint: R and C are SI "derived units" (based on SI "base units").
c) same as a)
d) you'll need to differentiate eq. 1d with respect to time, which you already did if you did part c).

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or in parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula τ = R x C, where R is the resistance of the resistor in ohms and C is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads.

3. How do I calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage (V) across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula V = V0(1 - e-t/τ), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time in seconds, and τ is the time constant.

4. Can the formula for an RC circuit be used for both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, the formula τ = R x C can be used for both series and parallel RC circuits. However, the values of R and C may differ depending on the circuit configuration.

5. How does the time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A smaller time constant means the capacitor charges and discharges faster, while a larger time constant results in a slower charging and discharging process.