Solving the Minimum RC Network for Open-Circuit Voltage Gain of 2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a linear, passive, 3-terminal RC network with the fewest number of resistors and capacitors that can provide an open-circuit voltage gain of 2. There is a debate about whether a passive network can have a gain > 1 and a circuit is shared that can achieve gains greater than 2 but has practical issues.
bobbyk
This is not homework, but a question I have posed for myself.

In a linear, passive, 3-terminal RC network for sinusoidal voltage input how many resistors and capacitors are required to give an open-circuit voltage gain of 2?

I've found some very complicated networks, but I'd like to find one with the fewest number of R's and C's.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobbyk said:
This is not homework, but a question I have posed for myself.

In a linear, passive, 3-terminal RC network for sinusoidal voltage input how many resistors and capacitors are required to give an open-circuit voltage gain of 2?

I've found some very complicated networks, but I'd like to find one with the fewest number of R's and C's.

Thanks for any help.

No combination of resistors and capacitors without some active device such as a transistor will exhibit any gain at all.

This question is still coursework, so I've moved the thread to Homework Help.

bobbyk, do you understand what ASN is saying? How can a passive network have a gain > 1? What do you need to add to get a gain > 1?

Yes, I understand what ASN is saying and he is wrong! You don't need to add anything to
get a gain > 1. Even very simple passive RC networks have open-circuit voltage gains > 1.

But I'm trying for a gain of 2.

There was a thread on the Usenet group alt.binaries.schematics.electronic on 10/10/07 with the subject:

Epstein paper--Synthesis of Passive RC Networks with Gains Greater than Unity

One of the responders posted this circuit which seems to be able to give gains much greater than just 2. It has practical problems, however.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8aad345024.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much! This Is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!

1. What is the minimum RC network for achieving an open-circuit voltage gain of 2?

The minimum RC network for achieving an open-circuit voltage gain of 2 is a series combination of a resistor and a capacitor. This network is also known as an RC high-pass filter.

2. How does the RC network achieve a voltage gain of 2?

The RC network achieves a voltage gain of 2 by using the properties of a capacitor and resistor in series. The capacitor allows for high frequencies to pass through, while the resistor blocks low frequencies. This results in an output voltage that is twice the input voltage, hence a gain of 2.

3. Can the RC network achieve a voltage gain of 2 with any values of resistance and capacitance?

No, the values of resistance and capacitance must be carefully chosen to achieve a voltage gain of 2. The ratio of the two values determines the cutoff frequency of the network, and it must be precisely calculated to achieve a gain of 2.

4. What is the significance of achieving a voltage gain of 2 in an RC network?

Achieving a voltage gain of 2 in an RC network is important for amplification purposes. It allows for the amplification of signals with high frequencies while blocking out low-frequency noise. This is useful in various electronic circuits and communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the minimum RC network for a voltage gain of 2?

Yes, there are limitations to using the minimum RC network for a voltage gain of 2. The network has a limited frequency range in which it can achieve a gain of 2, and it may introduce phase shifts in the output signal. Additionally, the values of resistance and capacitance must be precise, which can be challenging to achieve in practical applications.