Reaction of chloroalkane. Why chlorine substituted by OH rather than H

  • Thread starter Thread starter rudders93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
rudders93
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm abit confused with how this following example works:

Chloromethane reacted with hydroxide ion forms methanol as the chlorine atom is substituted by an OH functional group.

I was wondering why is the chlorine substituted rather than the hydrogen. I get why the OH group substitutes with Cl (since O is more electronegative), but the thing is, Cl is more electronegative (value 3.16 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronegativity" ) than H (which has a value of 2.20).

So why does this happen? Doesn't Cl have a stronger bond to the Carbon than H does hence it's harder to break?

Thanks!

EDIT: Please move to homework forum? Not exactly sure where this belongs :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should probably read up on leaving groups in an organic chemistry textbook. That should explain why the OH substitutes the Cl and not the H.