Why HCl is a much stronger acid than H2O?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Hcl
In summary, HCl is a much stronger acid than H2O because it has a larger volume and stronger bond. Additionally, the HCl bond is weaker than the HO bond, contributing to the equilibrium favoring the forward reaction.
jaumzaum
I want to know why HCl is a much stronger acid than H2O.They have similar bond energies (H-Cl = 427 kJ/mol, O-H = 467 kJ/mol), so there should be easy to ionize both. Besides, O is more electronegative than Cl, so it should "steal" the electron easier. Why is HCl Ka so superior than water Kw?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Consider the size of chlorine and oxygen

Consider what kind of bond each is. HCl is, at least when dissolved in water, ionic. H-OH is not mostly ionic, so ionizes only weakly.

Ok, O-H is more covalent than Cl-H, but what contributes for that? Why is HCl ionic and H2O covalent? Is it the size of O and Cl? F is also very small (smaller than O) and HF is still much stronger than H2O (the bond energy of HF is superior too).

HCl and HF are stronger acids than H2O because Cl- and F- are much weaker bases than OH-. Those bond energies you wrote refers only to homolitic dissociation: H-Cl --> H. + Cl. and not to ionic dissociation: H-Cl --> H+ + Cl-. Ionic dissociation energies are much different; looking for them you should find that OH- is much more reactive than Cl- or F- with H3O+, for this reason the dissociation costant of water is much lower.

Likes erisedk
Also, to properly analyze the situation, you have to remember all processes involved take place in water, and ion solvation (hydration) plays crucial role.

Exactly, thanks for clafication (you have anticipated me :smile:).
Infact ion dissociation is favoured in a polar solvent as water.

Well I think the student should be a bit alert and critical.

It seems to me that #3 and 5 have just restated in different terms the fact that HCl is a much stronger acid than H2O, not explained it.

Though it is true that homolytic dissociation energies, if that is what the quoted figures are, are not relevant.

I remember my book stated that we should look at the conjugate base to determine the equilibirum. Even though O is more electronegative than Cl, Cl has a larger volume so the charge density is greater allowing the negative charge to be spread out. So this makes Cl- more stable than OH- as a result at equilibrium there is more Cl- and H3O+ than for water with OH- and H3O+. Furthermore, the HCl bond is weaker than the HO bond further attributing to the equilibrium favouring the forward reaction for HCl than for H2O.

I recall the H in OH- having an effect on the stability of the charge but I can't seem to recall it. Hope this helps.

1. Why does HCl have a lower pH than H2O?

HCl is considered a strong acid because it completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of the HCl molecules break apart into ions. This high concentration of H+ ions results in a lower pH compared to H2O, which only partially dissociates.

2. How does the strength of an acid relate to its chemical structure?

The strength of an acid is determined by its ability to donate a proton (H+) to a base. In the case of HCl, the bond between hydrogen and chlorine is highly polar, meaning the hydrogen ion is easily released. This is due to the high electronegativity of chlorine, which pulls the shared electrons closer to itself, making the bond weaker and easier to break.

3. Is HCl considered a strong acid in all solutions?

No, the strength of an acid can vary depending on the solvent it is dissolved in. For example, HCl is a strong acid in water, but it is a weak acid in acetic acid. This is because the solvent can affect the ability of HCl to dissociate and donate its proton.

4. Can H2O ever be a stronger acid than HCl?

In general, HCl will always be a stronger acid than H2O due to its chemical structure and high polarity. However, there are cases where H2O can act as a stronger acid, such as when it reacts with a stronger base, or in the presence of a catalyst that promotes its dissociation.

5. How does the strength of an acid affect its corrosive properties?

Strong acids, such as HCl, are highly corrosive because they have a high affinity for protons and can easily donate them to other substances. This can cause damage to materials and tissues. In contrast, weaker acids, such as H2O, are less corrosive because they have a lower tendency to donate protons.