Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Read 'em and Weep

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here, courtesy of poster Ann on Brad de Long's blog, is a discussion of US debt trends. Whovever gets elected in November, he will be facing an economy headed for the toilet, and likely to drag the world economy down with it. Great Depression, second act?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2
    Yes, the end of the world. Do you have any locust population trends?

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

Is it just me or does anyone notice that whenever someone mentions something that *might* point towards Bush's direction, Dubya gets defensive?

The thing is, SelfAdjoint didn't even have to mention Bush, and Dubya became defensive.

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

SA, I'm confused by your title - are you happy about this?

In any case, I share JD's objection: you can't apply a trend to everything - especially something known to by cyclical. Consumer debt is high because interest rates are low. As interest rates rise, consumer debt will decrease. I'm not seeing a crisis here.

6. Sep 26, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hmm.... in fact, the only one so far to mention Bush is you....

7. Sep 26, 2004 #6
    Extrapolation is a nasty thing.

8. Sep 26, 2004 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

If either of you had read the article, the first sentence mentions the "Bush Administration."

Not reading, and replying is a nasty thing, also.

9. Sep 26, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

10. Sep 26, 2004 #9
  11. Sep 26, 2004 #10

graphic7

Gold Member

12. Sep 26, 2004 #11
    Edit: Misread the timeline

13. Sep 26, 2004 #12
    Damnit! now im all wondering what he said =(

14. Sep 26, 2004 #13

graphic7

Gold Member

He was going to say that the line was already in decline before Bush came in office.

15. Sep 26, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.well.com/~sunbear/deficit.jpg

Hmmm...looks like every Republican President (with the exceptions of Nixon and Bush Jr., who converted surpluses into deficits) has, by the end of his term, nearly doubled the deficit he inherited. Among the Democrats, only Carter caused the deficit to increase - by about 25%. Johnson and Clinton converted deficits into surpluses.

Umm...just paraphrasing the data here, for those people unable to access that link for whatever reason. No political bias is intended. :wink:

16. Sep 26, 2004 #15

graphic7

Gold Member

I wouldn't be suprised if I see an outcry from one of the republicans here for some sources of the data displayed in the image. That's what *always* happens..

17. Sep 26, 2004 #16
    I started to reply, but this thread has already turned into cess pool. You people REALLY need to get off the partisan garbage. Before anyone even responds, there's already been multiple "Republicans......"
    You think that is going to bait us in?? Or are you just trolling to do so?

EDIT - wait, all of the Republican bashing replies were due to Graphic7. When is this crap going to be cleaned up?

18. Sep 26, 2004 #17

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oh you should add Gokul too, and while you're at it, add me; I think Bush is a disaster. But the deficit and the foreign debt is a bipartisan stupidity; Congress just waggled another unfunded tax cut*, a "middle class" one that Bush will certainly sign, nd the Democrats had their noses in the trough right along with the Republicans.

And no, I am not happy to see another Great Depression threatening. I am one of the few posters here who can just remember the original; the joy of finding a dollar bill stuck under the upholstery of our couch, when we weren't going to have any money over the week-end till Daddy's (diminished) allotment check cleared. I live like that again now on Social Security, and people are saying the SS trust fund is the first place they'll look if the general fund comes up short, as it will, in a year or two.

*Yes, I know they were really extending a tax cut that was up for rnewal, but they had two responsible choices: Let it die a decent death, or if they had to have it, fund it with other taxes.

19. Sep 26, 2004 #18

graphic7

Gold Member

Excuse the bashing or rather the "trolling" some of you may call it, but I'm really sick of you people stating the economy was already in decline before Bush took office and that it was Clinton's fault.

The reason I'm bashing the republicans is simply you're the *only* ones that support Bush. How many democrats or liberals (they wouldn't be liberals or democrats then) support Bush? Not many I bet, therefore, I have to bash you.

And Phatmonky, perhaps you should get off some of that Bush propaganda, eh?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  20. Sep 26, 2004 #19
    They're just stating their opinions.

I am heading out. Over the last week we have had a new slur of posters and the arguments have really degenerated. It seems we have about six Adams in here now, and the forum is beginning to look like the Democratic Underground, complete with conspiracy theories in every thread. I don't even care that much. Kerry winning wouldn't be the end of the world for me, especially since it keeps you-know-who at bay for another four years.

21. Sep 26, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hold your horses, mister !! (I mean, Supreme UberMentor:biggrin:)

While I share your "Bush is a disaster" sentiment, I won't go so far as drawing up generalized correlations from a National Deficit timeline. I was merely making a joke, while perhaps, at most, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?