Reading a Potential Energy graph

In summary, the given problem involves a 2.0 kg particle moving along the x axis, subjected to a conservative force F(x) with associated potential energy U(x) graphed in Fig. 10-46. At x = 2.5 m, the particle has a velocity of -2.0 m/s. The graph has "kinks" at (1, -2.8), (4, -17.2), and (8.5, -17.2), and the endpoint is at (15, -2). To find the magnitude and direction of F(x) at this position, we can use the formula F(x) = -dU(x)/dx. The range of movement for the
Hyacinth42

Homework Statement

Potential Energy Graph A conservative force F(x) acts on a 2.0 kg particle that moves along the x axis. The potential energy U(x) associated with F(x) is graphed in Fig. 10-46. When the particle is at x = 2.5 m, its velocity is -2.0 m/s. The "kinks" in the graph occur at (1, -2.8), (4, -17.2), and (8.5, -17.2); and the endpoint is at (15, -2).

Figure 10-46
ipmy6h.gif

(a) What are the magnitude and direction of F(x) at this position?

(b) Between what limits of x does the particle move?

(c) What is its speed at x = 7.0 m?

I have no idea how to interpret the graph, please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyacinth42 said:

Homework Statement

Potential Energy Graph A conservative force F(x) acts on a 2.0 kg particle that moves along the x axis. The potential energy U(x) associated with F(x) is graphed in Fig. 10-46. When the particle is at x = 2.5 m, its velocity is -2.0 m/s. The "kinks" in the graph occur at (1, -2.8), (4, -17.2), and (8.5, -17.2); and the endpoint is at (15, -2).

(a) What are the magnitude and direction of F(x) at this position?

(b) Between what limits of x does the particle move?

(c) What is its speed at x = 7.0 m?

I have no idea how to interpret the graph, please help?

Think in terms of the conservation of energy. As potential energy changes what does it change to or come from? (Hint: Kinetic Energy)

For your particle then, they give you how much Kinetic Energy the particle has at a certain point. Now they want to know what its range is within the range of the potential energy of the graph.

I also have trouble with this problem. I really don't know where to go with it. I understand that F(x)=-dU(x)/dx, but that's really it. Any help would be appreciated.

The graph shows the potential energy, but how do I find the kinetic energy? And how does this help solve the problem? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the relation of velocity to potential energy.

Insomniac18 said:
I also have trouble with this problem. I really don't know where to go with it. I understand that F(x)=-dU(x)/dx, but that's really it. Any help would be appreciated.

The graph shows the potential energy, but how do I find the kinetic energy? And how does this help solve the problem? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the relation of velocity to potential energy.

Welcome to PF.

I'm sure you've heard of the conservation of energy, and this is where it happens.

In the problem they give you mass and velocity hence you know Kinetic energy.

KE = ½m*v²

In this problem they also tell you by the graph what Potential energy is.

Hence you know what the Total energy is.

KE + PE = Constant

As you move in X then if the potential increases then you may be sure that the kinetic energy decreases and of course vice versa.

FAQ: Reading a Potential Energy graph

1. What is a potential energy graph and how is it used?

A potential energy graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's potential energy and its position. It is used to understand the changes in potential energy as an object moves in a given system.

2. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration in a system, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

3. How can you determine the total energy of an object from a potential energy graph?

The total energy of an object can be determined by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy at a specific point on the graph. The total energy remains constant throughout the system.

4. How does the shape of a potential energy graph relate to the stability of a system?

A taller and narrower potential energy graph indicates a more stable system, while a flatter and wider graph indicates a less stable system. This is because a higher potential energy means the object is more likely to return to its original position, while a lower potential energy means the object is more likely to move away from its original position.

5. Can potential energy be negative on a potential energy graph?

Yes, potential energy can be negative on a potential energy graph. This indicates that the object has a lower potential energy at that point compared to its original position. This often occurs when external forces are acting on the object, causing a decrease in its potential energy.

Back