Reading a signal off of one wire?

In summary: So if you were to attach the ground clip from your 'scope to the Earth ground at your breaker panel, it would make a bigger difference.
Evil Bunny
When I put an o-scope probe into my (120VAC) wall socket, with no ground (reference) attached, just a single wire, I get a perfect 60 Hz sine wave, with about 35Vrms magnitude.

When I plug the o-scope probe into the socket with the ground attached appropriately to the return of the same socket, I get the 120V 60Hz sine wave as expected.

Why do I get the perfect sine wave (with the smaller magnitude) with no reference attached? Is it capacitive coupling?

The reason I ask this is because I was chasing down a signal today at work on some equipment and was receiving this signal (unexpectedly) off of a circuit with a known open conductor... This got me to thinking about why.

Hope that made sense.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your body (or even a piece of wire, or the probe itself) is acting as an antenna and picking up the 60 Hz that's in the wiring all around you.

A friend of mine was working on a circuit and kept on getting an odd 88.5 MHz signal in his circuit, which persisted even when it was powered off. He then realized the campus radio station (which he was incidentally listening to) was at that frequency.

Ok so an o-scope is basically a voltmeter, correct?

Is it measuring a difference between two points?

If no ground (or reference or whatever) is hooked up, what two points is it measuring between?

What kind of 'scope are you using? Is it battery-powered, or plugs into the wall? If it's wall-powered with a 3-prong power cord, and the 'scope probe ground is Earth Grounded by the 'scope, then it doesn't matter much if you hook up the ground clip in this measurement, since the Hot lead in your AC Mains wall socket is referenced to Neutral (= Earth Ground at the breaker panel).

If your 'scope is floating and battery powered, then what you see displayed is due to the capacitance from the 'scope internal ground to external Earth ground (and nearby metal objects).

1. How can I read a signal off of one wire?

To read a signal off of one wire, you will need to use a device called a voltmeter or multimeter. This device measures the voltage present on the wire and displays it on a screen. You can then interpret the signal based on the voltage reading.

2. Can I read a signal off of one wire without any equipment?

No, in order to accurately read a signal off of one wire, you will need a voltmeter or multimeter. These devices are specifically designed to measure voltage and are necessary for obtaining an accurate reading.

3. What is the purpose of reading a signal off of one wire?

Reading a signal off of one wire is important in many scientific and technological fields. It allows us to monitor and interpret the flow of electricity in a circuit, which can be useful for troubleshooting, testing, and analyzing data.

4. How do I know which wire to read the signal off of?

In order to determine which wire to read the signal off of, you will need to first identify the source of the signal and the destination it is traveling to. The wire connecting these two points will be the one carrying the signal.

5. Is it possible to read a signal off of a wire without touching it?

Yes, it is possible to read a signal off of a wire without touching it by using a non-contact voltage tester. This device detects the presence of an electric field around the wire and can indicate the presence of a signal without direct contact. However, for more accurate readings, it is recommended to use a voltmeter or multimeter.